A person should be allowed the right to die

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Otherones90210, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't even see how that's up for discussion one way or the other.

Do the right thing
  2. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

i am dying of cancer... there is basically no way around that ... i seen my mom die a slow horriable death of pain upon pain of night after night of throwing up... my cancer is uncurable... it kills all who get it within one year... if i was to take chemo and radiation it would or possiable could prolong it a few months more.... i have a stupid past of telling things that were not quite true that has everyone around me having doubts about what is real and not real... i have a family that basically doesnt care for me and the only one who ever told me he loved me was a 5 year old kid... my life is screwed cause i can never have someone who loves me... never have a good christian husband.. never be able to travel the world and see all the beauty there is out there... I have gotten to the point i just dont care anymore and seeing as how i am already dying with no hope of survival , no way to fight something i know darn well i cant win , and not willing to face that pain that i seen my mom go through , then yes

I THINK I SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO DIE.. IF WE CAN TAKE ANIMALS AND PUT THEM TO SLEEP WHEN THEY HAVE NO HOPE LEFT THEN WE SHOULD DO THE SAME TO HUMANS... animals have blood , you cut them they bled , they breathe air just like we do.. they eat , if you hurt them they will cry then we should not kill them if they have no hope and it is considered murder for us then it should be murder for them also...

PEOPLE WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE... if we have the right to put an animal that is suffering down , then we should also have the right to put a human down if they so chose to stop their pain.. if it is considered murder then they need to accuse those who put barbarro down as murderes also.... NOTE. THIS IS IMO
  3. I agree with you 100 percent !!! You took the words right out of my mouth White Dove !!

ps, I'm so sorry that death is being thrust upon you without your control so that you are not free to choose the moment of your departure without resorting to self-extermination.

I hope your religious beliefs and faith will bring you comfort until that moment arrives....you can look forward to a perfect existence without the burdens and cares of your present mortal existence.

A funny thing White Dove, my desire of death is to achieve non-existence..I couldn't bear the thought of continuing to live, after I have breathed my last breath I want everything about me to be totally extinguished and forgotten, never to return.

Dear White Dove.....peace to you in the here and now, as well as the hereafter.:rose:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  4. White Dove

well , thank you PDW

With me , i know the meds is only going to control the pain for so long... and i would rather be dead then doped up so much ... if i was to be doped up and on meds when i die then i would be no better off then someone who drinks and drives and is drunk when they die... IMO it would be a sin... cause i would be so dopped up and not in my right mind , you know???

either way , im going to die no matter what and i cant stop it...
  5. I believe in the right-to die.
  6. PainEngulfsMe

PainEngulfsMe Active Member

i reckon you have a shitload of morphine, oxy, and feyntanol patches eh? Enjoy them, i have chronic back pain, c-spine disease, degen disk disease, and a few other disk problems, and i cant get shit but vicodin for my pain, and ive come close to death twice due to the DR's not giving me the right pain meds, so i have to OD on vicodin es to work.. imagine having to take 14 7.5/750 vicodin es a day to be able to live.
  7. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I cannot believe suicide is such a touchy issue, even laws about it.
    We have so many rights and choices. We chose what we live, where we work, what we eat, what we do, who are friends are, but we cant have the simple right to death (PEACE)!!! instead we must sit and suffer. And those brave enough amongst us can do it secretly. Suicide is such a secretive, silent and painful thing. Even euthanasia is illegal (and thats for people suffering from chronic/dabilitating diseases, they just suffer) like I suffer. So many choices, but not this one, no no no.
  8. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

We should have a choice to end our lives. Instead of allowing a person to take one simple pill they rather see people hanging themselves, cutting themselves up, brain damaged and all kinds of other crazy suicidal attempts. Makes no sense to me.
  9. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

A person should be allowed the right to die

AMEN TO THAT. Why should we be forced to live in pain (emotional or physical) just because that is what MOST PEOPLE do.

Its not sociably acceptable to 'opt out' but why should we not be offered the euthanasia pill, why should we be scorned if our attempts fail.

Give us the right to life, and the right to live it how we choose, by not living it.
  10. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros Member

I think a lot of it is that people who want to die are often mentally shaken or unsound for some reason and in this state you may not be making the most reasonable decisions.

Creating laws for people who are being very reasonable with the wish of suicide is one thing, but it is hard to have that without having equal rights for everyone (atleast in he USA). Applying the right to die to people people who may not be capable of sound reasoning isn't exactly a good thing in my opinion.

For people facing horrible pain and looming death I send all of my best wishes, it is a horrible thing that you have to go through and I wish you could avoid it, but I was simply making this post as bit of a devils advocat.

11. Hello LLG,
    are you saying that being mentally ill not a good enough reason to want to terminate yourself ?

I am quite "shaken" and "unsound" in my thinking..that is precisely why I am going to commit suicide. Seems like a logical progression to me.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  12. corral

corral Guest

agree with the subject
  13. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

That's the sad thing about this argument. I think it's complete bull, but it's also bullet-proof. Anyone who wants to die can be deemed mentally incapable of making the decision, including people suffering from terminal illness. Even if euthanasia were legal only the most extreme cases would even be considered, and it would be easy to argue that their illness has warped their minds beyond reasonable thought.
  14. White Dove

no ..

at this moment i am not on any good pain meds..

i take an ibuprophen that is 800 mg s and i take 2 of them , plus i take heart meds ( beta blockers ) for my heart , a cholestrol pill , and my inhailers for my asthma , now the doc has put me on nexavar . it is a pill that i take 2 times a day to try and prolong my life..
  15. I can understand not willing to assist with the killing of another person, but only barely.

What really messes me up is that I know with every failed suicide attempt I'm going to get stuck in a queerass facility with people who will hurt me severly in the most excruciating ways.

This is where my problem lies. I can't attempt to kill myself because if I fail......I'm about to get the living bejesus tortured out of me.

Forced to stay alive is weird. Getting weirder on a daily basis.
  16. Persephone

Persephone Active Member

I agree that people with a terminal illness should have the right to choose death before their disease disables them. Mental illness, on the other hand is, presumably, curable (if you have mental health insurance, as many of us do not).

I hope you have a living will and that you have let your doctors know your wishes. If your doctor won't listen, get another one. What do you have to lose? Many doctors are compassionate enough to up pain relieving medication to lethal doses though they won't actually say so for fear of legal reprisals.

If you think you must do it yourself, here's a useful link.

17. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Being exclusively pro-life is cruel and heartless. I do not think that one shall only think it is okay, dying through suicide or euthanasia, if you're terminally ill with a disease or disability that will lead to great pain and/or immobility, or other terrible, physical conditions, either; naturally, the pain that deep depression means, must be included, as well. Of course, comments that you're not sane enough to think for yourself, like those of LouisLeGros, will always be around. They are impossible to disprove. Of course, however; the burden of proof lies in the hands of the one who makes a claim, and since it cannot be proven that a suicidal isn't mentally sound enough to make the decision to die, the conclusion that this is the case, cannot be made. Of course; in this hypocritical world, this conclusion is made - basically always - anyway.

Depression cannot be cured, always, either. Some truly have no way out from their depression. Although minimal in comparison to the depressions of some other people, my depression is caused by my lack of my true love, and my high unlikelihood of ever finding her. Only finding her can cure my depression, but as long as I'm depressed, my likelihood of finding her, basically is non-existent.
  18. Flight

Flight Well-Known Member

Hae-Gi... being dead, you will never find her.

What is even worse than that - she will never find you. No matter how much she needs you. Consider her...

I just want to say that on the other hand, I would be dead right now if I had the choice 8 years ago. And I would have missed out on the best 4 years of my life so far.

Certain people, in certain circumstances, deserve the right to die. Other people see no alternative to death when their life and thoughts are most dire. They cannot envision a future where they are satisfied with living, even if that future is plausible. Erring on the side of life is more cautious, as death is always an option when one is alive. Erring on the side of death, the decision is irreversible.

It's a difficult line to draw in the sand. Tell me who is truly without hope, and who is not. And we are leaving it to a government to make this distinction?
  19. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I don't think laws against suicide were made mainly for philosophical reasons, I think it's more of how it hinders society when you take your own life. When someone contributing to society just randomly snuffs him/herself out they leave all sorts of problems behind like unpaid bills, debts for their family, trouble for their employer if they had one, etc etc.

If it were legalized then people would be free to create facilities for euthanasia where people could die both painlessly and legally and people suffering from suicidal feelings would be killing themselves off left and right. It is unfair that we aren't allowed the right to die, but looking at it from a selfless perspective it's probably better that way.

Of course, you can still take your own life all the same so whether or not there's a law against it really doesn't matter if that's what you want. What are they going to do, throw your body in jail?
  20. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

That's one way to look at it. The other side of the coin is that it also can release burdens from society.

How about cases where medical patients cannot be helped due to being too old, incredibly disabled, or having a shattered mind? They continue to suck up medical fundings and money from their own families simply so that their suffering can be prolonged.

What about people who don't contribute to society, and simply mooch, drive up debts, drink, gamble, and plain old make life harder for everyone?

What about those who live to spread pain? Would it be such a big loss for society if, say, a mass murderer killed himself?

For who is it to decide whether society would be better off with people dead or alive?

It does matter. First of all, there is no painless, easy method of killing yourself. Many suicide attempts fail and just end up making life even harder for everyone. Not only can a failed attempt leave you disabled, it can leave you in a vegetative state. If your death, however, was handled by professionals you could pretty much guarantee a quick and painless exit.

Second, if suicides were handled by doctors rather than the suicidal themselves, you wouldn't have to end up bringing the drama into other people's lives. Most people don't like finding dead bodies or running over some nutjob who threw themself in front of their car.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.