A poll about the samaritans

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Dec 1, 2014.

Have the samaritans helped you??

1. Yes they were brilliant and helped me a lot to talk.

1 vote(s)
  2. I had a negative experience with the samaritans, felt they couldn't help

6 vote(s)
  3. Unsure yet of how they are. I'm on the border

3 vote(s)
  4. Never used the samaritans

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Just wondering here who has had positive or negative experiences with the samaritans, for me I think they are simply amazing...so going to post a poll here. The votes are not public.No-one will know what you voted for.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  2. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I wrote to them once. The email came back with the usual statements. It did nothing to quell the suicidal thoughts. In contrast this site has helped allowing me to express my pain and talk about the thoughts, thus allowing the thoughts free rein and the caring and acceptance here has helped to quell such thoughts. The venting has helped. I'm sure the Samaritans help in terms of crisis but the email aspect didn't help me.
  3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I agree with you Petal & my vote is: Yes they were brilliant and helped me a lot to talk. (as I am unable to vote in the poll) :)
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Never used them
  5. Deadly

Deadly Well-Known Member

I had to go for "unsure" even though I think they are a great organization in the UK. I have called them in the past but have had a few times where I just felt they were not really there. But some of the people are good really good. But as a first or last line of defense ... well I think they hold much purpose.
  6. Bart

Bart Banned Member

I definitely think that the Samaritans provide a useful service, although I think it's important to understand that they never provide advice. They are a listening 'service'. This might be frustrating to somebody who calls them looking for help rather than a shoulder to cry on. I have used them a couple of times and rather felt that they were listening in a bored manner. At the time it distracted me, but didn't make me feel better about myself.
  7. Deadly

Deadly Well-Known Member

I think that is a good point. They do not offer any advise but allow a person to speak. I have had the same sense a few times when calling that the person on the other end of the line was somewhat bored or not really there. I think it is hard for anyone to make sense of what is going on in a persons life with 1 call. And you build up no relationship with the person on the end of the line as each time you call you get someone else. I can see why they have to run it that way and it is not a counseling service in any way. In some areas in the UK they do have drop in centers where you can sit face to face with a person. This I have used 1 time and it was different. But again no advise was given. They mostly just listen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.