A question about sleeping pills...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by CherryBlossom, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Member

I have insomnia and I over the counter sleeping pills.

I started taking them and developed a tolerance...I'd end up taking 10 at a time just to fall asleep. Sometimes after that many I didn't...I'd still be awake.

Now it's a variation. Some nights I'll take 4, some nights 1. I'll go days without it, then take some more. But overall I'm not letting myself develop a tolerance to them.

But here's the question...now only taking 1 pill gets me high (not really high but it's a different feeling). It used to take so many more, even when I first started taking them. It seems like I'm sooooo much more sensitive to what's in them.

So is that possible? This is like reverse tolerance.

I'm on them right now so I hope this makes sense.
  2. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

it sounds pretty normal.. like with alcohol you can go a period without it and your body adjusts to not having it, so it reacts more when you do.
    it seems to have happened pretty quickly though which could also mean that your body thinks it's now an illness so it's putting its defenses up and causing an allergic reaction (sounds unlikely from the symptoms).

i'd advise you see a doctor about it, they're good at putting your mind at ease
    and can also probably subscribe you better ones
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

While you're at it, you may want to ask for a sleeping aid prescription.
  4. calee

calee New Member

Hi Cherry

My kid sufferred very badly with insomnia for years. I tried all the OTC products available but to no avail.

Her Doctor suggested lots of stuff but really it was no good and any medic is reluctant to subscribe for teenagers.

Eventually, I got a self help hypnosis download from the internet which cost maybe 10 pounds which she put on her phone and has worked. I also got one for my aunt for dementia but that was a complete waste of money.

Not saying that it will work for you at all - not one size fits all - but maybe worth a go. I maybe wrong of course.

Caroline :biggrin:
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I used extra strength sleep eaze D now and then. Each capsule contains 50 mg of diphenhydramine, so one is just enough.
  6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

That's an addiction trap worse than any OTC antihistamine.

O/T but I like this. It is simplicity itself.

The value of tanscendance. The capacity to love unconditionally is Christlike. Manson obvious doesn't understand this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.