A question for all SH'ers

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by UpForAbbey, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpForAbbey

UpForAbbey Guest

This may be a really odd question, but I was just wondering..
    What types of physical (or mental) sensations do you get when you are having urges?

For me, it's a really weird tingling in the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet, and then when it gets really bad I feel like my body is moving out of my skin. Its weird, I know lol.
    Just curious!
    thanks!​

2. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

my temples pulse. haha like, a lot.

and then i here this screaming.. it's really messed up.

haha. this is an intersting thread though.
    i'll check it back every so often

3. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

I don't feel anything *physical*, just an enourmous pyschological desire for releif. Like craving a cream bun, or something. You try to put it off but eventually it overwealms you.

4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I can't think. I freeze up... I can't feel anything at all. If someone's talking to me, it takes a while for me to notice that.

5. notmyrealname

notmyrealname Well-Known Member

Much the same sensation as going without a smoke for too long.

6. Abby Rose

Abby Rose Well-Known Member

Mostly I just have a strong desire to do it in the form of a quick flash of anger directed at myself, but on occasion it is accompanied by a slight itch or some kind of irritation on the area of my body where I end up cutting.

7. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

As i told you last night, i move around alot, shaking my leg or my hands begin to shake. It's like i can't sit still.

8. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Yeah, same here

9. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

I get a really nervous feeling, and it feels like there is a huge pressure on me. not from anyone or anything, just a huge physical pressure of needing to do it. my arms and hands start gettin very... i dont know how to say it or how to describe it, its like im especially aware of them, they dont hurt but its like they point out that theyre there and that something needs to be done with them. this probably sounds really weird. :unsure:

10. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Yeah, same thing here. It's like, I really want it, and want to feel pain :unsure:

11. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

Like other have said, it's like a craveing... very similar to wanting a smoke.

Once it goes a lot longer I'll start feeling much more down than usuall, and then I'll start blackmailing myself... telling myself that I can't get another cigg unless I stubb this one out on my arm, or that I can't eat untill I cut. Slowly I take away everything else, untill I have to do something.

12. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

I get very agitated and start pacing I also start crying through frustration.

13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

couple of physical sensations... i know i'm in trouble when i get a deep ache in my chest. then the tingling craving starts in my arms. if i ignore it i start to feel very agitated, shaking my arms to try and get it out, not really flapping but something pretty similar.

the cream bun analogy is perfect. that's where it all starts.

14. Rachael41

Rachael41 Well-Known Member

I often feel asthough? im numb, and im not really doing it ? it almost asthough im oblivious to whats goin on or what im doin and it feels asthough im on the outside lookin in :(

15. Will

Will Staff Alumni

It's a craving, sorta like an addiction. I feel it in my chest, my head, my hands tingle. It just feels so overwhelming, it's like it's sorta warm inside, and it feels like you can't stop the urge.

I dunno :unsure:

16. bluewail

bluewail Well-Known Member

its like i get all slow and heavy... i feel very unreal like i'm in a dream or something, but at the same time very aware of myself... but even when i do it that feeling doesn't go away immediately... yeah. it's weird.

17. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

For me, it is just like im feeling: annoyed/angry/depressed....whatever and its just - i want to vent it, but I dont feel its right to vent it at people who dont 'deserve' (so to speak) at people who dont deserve to be 'exploded' at, so i just grab my 'tool of choice' and just go at it untill i feel like this negitivity in me has abated, even if its for a couple of hours, but thats about as far as it goes for me

18. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

Heya,

I lose control of my arms, as if something has overtaken it. I cant explain it properly, but when i gt the urge, I have to do it, otherwise I cant do anything else until Ive SH.

19. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I get insanely itchy.

20. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i feel like ive cut myself
    my legs shoulders and hips hurt
    i have nightmares about my fears at night
    i holucinate someone saying "just do it"
    or something along the lines of that

i loose feeling in my hands..

Thread Status: