a question for christians on here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Were you always the most vile, disgusting, obnoxious, genocidal, racist, infanticidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully I read in the old testament?

Are surprised me and many others are athiest?

Chargette

A line from a song of Joan Osborne goes something like, "if God had a face, would you want to see, if seeing meant that you would have to believe,"

Julia-C

if you got to meet god/ jesus to ask 1 question, what would you ask?
I don't consider myself to be particularly religious but I will take a stab at it anyway. For those who are religious I respect your faith and I hope my question doesn't seem like a mockery.

My Statement And Question To God:
"God, we all have freewill, the ability to choose right from wrong, and freedom over our own actions. Still we are commanded to do what is impossible and violate our own freewill by being required to love you as it says in Mathew 22:27 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. God, no one chooses to love we either love someone or don't. So how can love toward you be a requirement when we neither choose to love or choose not to love"?

Anyone here, especially Christians are welcome to answer my question if you want to. Serious answers only please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chargette

"God, we all have freewill, the ability to choose right from wrong, and freedom over our own actions. Still we are commanded to do what is impossible and violate our own freewill by being required to love you as it says in Mathew 22:27 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. God, no one chooses to love we either love someone or don't. So how can love toward you be a requirement when we neither choose to love or choose not to love"?

Anyone here, especially Christians are welcome to answer my question if you want to. Serious answers only please.
There are different words for love in the Greek language so I offer the following for you to consider.

This is the verse restated with word numbers from Strong's Concordance:

Mat 22:37 (G1161) JesusG2424 saidG2036 unto him,G846 Thou shalt loveG25 the LordG2962 thyG4675 GodG2316 withG1722 allG3650 thyG4675 heart,G2588 andG2532 withG1722 allG3650 thyG4675 soul,G5590 andG2532 withG1722 allG3650 thyG4675 mind.G1271

This is the definition of G25:

G25
ἀγαπάω
agapaō
ag-ap-ah'-o
Perhaps from ἄγαν agan (much; or compare [H5689]); to love (in a social or moral sense): - (be-) love (-ed). Compare G5368.

IMHO, there is love of what you want or think another should be -OR- there is love of another whom you know whether they are what you want them to be or not. I think it is critical that one seeks out (pray to), learns about (read Bible), and experiences God (living his will for us), before one can love God fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider myself to be particularly religious but I will take a stab at it anyway. For those who are religious I respect your faith and I hope my question doesn't seem like a mockery.

As someone with what I might term a 'budding' faith - one that I'm still exploring and considering I don't think your question is a mockery at all. If anything, I choose to worship God through the prism of Christianity. That is to say - that I have a growing faith, but some of the aspects of that faith are brought about because of the culture that I live in. Had I been raised in a Muslim or Jewish background, - and I should say that I was raised in a secular household with vague Christian elements - I may well have found myself growing into those faiths. As such I see all religions as various ways of worshipping what is essentially the same 'higher' being.

So my answer to the question that you raise would be something along the lines of: "To love God is to do right by God. God is ultimately a form of conscience, if you can put your head on the pillow at night, knowing that you have done things to the best of your ability, then you have loved God".

That is my own view as of this time, as I say, my faith is still 'maturing' for want of a better term.

As to my own question to God. I don't know what I'd ask. If anything - I would ask for reassurance. And that I believe - is what faiths and religions are a human reflex for.

Chargette

God you are the most merciful, so please have some mercy on us.

ps I am Muslim, hope you don't mind
I don't mind at all. It is good to have your input here. Just be aware there are some here who have negative views on any religion and they freely express them. Try not to take it personal. I actually found it to be a good experience as it seemed to provide another step in spiritual growth (and some thicker skin to go along with it). :)

spooky

I don't take a shine to organized religion; I have my own set of beliefs and try to just be a good person.

I guess if I could ask God/Jesus/Supreme Being a question it would be, "Why do I keep coming back?" I believe very strongly in reincarnation and I think I've been here many, many times. Sometimes I wonder why - the world is a crazy place. Haha.

:ghost:

Seeing as how the only way I could every actually meet God is if I was dead, and if that were true I would be moments away from Hell, my question would be, "What did I do to make you hate me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00