A question for fellow bipolar people

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hey, I was diagnosed as bipolar 1 a while ago but recently ive had periods where I feel up and down literally at the same time.Im not talking about a mixed period where you switch moods within a short period of time, but about feeling up and down at the same time.It may sound like a bit of an oxymoron, but I was wondering if anyone else had this?

2. Sydx

Sydx Active Member

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same as you, but I do sometimes have episodes of high energy and 'down' mood as well as episodes of low energy with 'up' moods.

Again, not sure if that's what you were talking about but still.

I've had those 'mixed episodes' as well.

3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Hi, I have Bipolar 1 also yet never had 'mixed' episodes. What you describe sounds like 'soft anxiety bipolar'. I really don't know much about it, I heard about it from watching a video from Kay Redfield Jamieson (a psychiatrist with bipolar). It could be that, or I could be totally wrong :huh:

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes, when I'm badly manic I'm not happy. I'm agitated and I'm very very distressed and coping with severe suicidal stuff a lot of the time.

5. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

I have Bipolar I and I've had exactly what your talking about happen to me. Its kinda scary actually, thats how I've been every time I've ever attempted, or done something really stupid. its a really weird feeling.

6. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I have bi-polar type 2 and yeah i have the same problem occasionally, then it just tends to change to depressed as normal

7. shazwackers

shazwackers Well-Known Member

Yes I get those regularly and they're hell!

When you go up and down in very short periods of time that is called rapid cycling but when you feel symptoms of both high and low in the very same moment that is a mixed episode.

I've had bipolar since childhood and was diagnosed at 17 and lost my mum whilst she was in a mixed phase so I dread them.

I manage them by staying in mainly, as the egitation of the mania is hard to deal with.....if you want to chat pm me ok?

shaz

8. anarulesmenow

Yeah, thanks for the info guys!I always hear about manic episodes, depressive episodes or mixed episodes, but never of people feeling both at the same time.I'm usually one or the other (ive had more manic episodes recently) and do swap between moods pretty quickly, but sometimes I can't even tell myself whether I'm up or down.

9. shazwackers

shazwackers Well-Known Member

It sounds like you rapid cycle which is tough to live with.

Yea I know what you mean about not knowing what phase you are in, up or down, that sounds like a typical mixed phase.......

Are you on meds for bipolar?

10. anarulesmenow

Nah I don't like meds.I'd rather be able to find a way to deal with it on my own, than by having to succumb to taking medication.

11. dhammapal

dhammapal Active Member

Hi, I am bipolar I with mixed states. I've heard that 15% of people with my illness commit suicide.

I found this on Wikipedia:
    In the context of mental disorder, a '''mixed state''' (also known as '''dysphoric mania''', '''agitated depression''', or a '''mixed episode''') is a condition during which symptoms of [[mania]] and [[clinical depression|depression]] occur simultaneously (e.g., [[agitation]], [[anxiety]], [[fatigue (physical)|fatigue]], guilt, impulsiveness, irritability, morbid or [[suicidal ideation]], [[panic attack|panic]], [[paranoia]], [[pressured speech]] and rage). Typical examples include tearfulness during a manic episode or racing thoughts during a depressive episode. One may also feel incredibly frustrated in this state, since one may feel like a failure and at the same time have a flight of ideas. Mixed states are often the most dangerous period of mood disorders, during which [[substance abuse]], [[panic disorder]], [[suicide]] attempts, and other complications increase greatly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_state_(psychiatry)

I think that medication is important for bipolar, which has a much lower placebo effect than depression.

Regards / dhammapal.

12. grampa14221

grampa14221 New Member

You're reminding me of an idea from a Tibetan Buddhism book -Shambala by Chognam Trungpa:
    "Although the warrior’s life is dedicated to helping others, he realizes he will never be able to completely share his experience with others. The fullness of his experience is his own, and he must live with his own truth. Yet he is more and more in love with the world. That combination of love affair and loneliness is what enables the warrior to constantly reach out to help others. By renouncing his private world, the warrior discovers a greater universe and a fuller and fuller broken heart. It is a cause for rejoicing. This is entering the warrior’s world."

It's like, why not joy and sorrow at the same time? We are fortunate to have a human body to experience this Universe, yet we constantly have in mind the suffering us humans undergo.

I was walking through the grocery yesterday, almost weeping, but knowing it was mostly chemical and it would pass.

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't see my mood changes as chemical. It's to do with hyper-arousal and anxiety.

When I've been suicidal I've had "mood swings", who wouldn't if you're feeling in control of your life, and in the next instant you're remembering what has happened to you? Or , you're feeling the same things at the same time?

14. anarulesmenow

I feel the same things at the same time.Like i'll feel really down and so tired yet part of my body feels really manic at the same time if that makes sense.I think it's mostly chemical for me, but that things can trigger it off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.