a question for people who SH

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by clare, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clare

clare Active Member

why did you start?
    i was havin a bad time in life and the breakdown of a long term relationship kinda tipped me over the edge. just interested in why others startedxx

2. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I felt like I had to to keep me from killing myself... I guess it worked so the time being.

3. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

felt like i had no control in my life and had so much pain inside of me that i just needed to get it out. still do feel like that

4. Corieh Infected

Corieh Infected Well-Known Member

I'd seen other people doing it and wondered why it made them feel good. I figured it was a much quicker way of hurting myself than overdosing, so I started doing it.

5. ibetam

ibetam Well-Known Member

it started as fanatical picking, trying to scratch unscratchable itches. 'evolved' through many phases, but is still a dear friend.

6. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

I started when I was 8-that was thumping-I don't remember why back then though.

7. ~sal~

~sal~ Member

i started when i was doing my gcses because i was under stress and had massive issues with (ex)friends that made me feel so alone and worthless

8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i started when someone i loved very dearly broke up with me
    i didnt know why and i thought that i could get attention for it.
    yes, the big a word. attention.

now i do it for stress

i started last year november...
    and i still do it.

9. clare

clare Active Member

i've never wanted attention for my cutting. i try to cut where i know nobody will see and if anyone ever does notice i have excuses handy. sometimes i wish i never sarted, then sometimes im glad i did cos it really helped me cope through the bad patch
    xx

10. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

It started with months of scratching/digging my nails into my skin. Pure frustration and anger when I wasnt "heard", understood, and was just dismissed, yelled at for defending myself and my feelings, or worse blammed for them, for everything.

After my nails, it became sharper objects(nail files, etc)

Then progressed to steak knifes...and now razors.

Its always been my secret, I've never been proud of it.

11. clare

clare Active Member

sadpandabear im very much like you. iv told four people in my life bout my cutting, one of which i had no choice about. if you ever want to talk PM mexx

12. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

My answer is actually a couple of answers: first, there was the trying to cope with my parents getting divorced and my father trying to use myself and my siblings to his own ends, mostly just to get back at my mother for some imaginary sin she "committed" against him. Second, at that time I had a "friend" (and no one else), who constantly berated me, inside and out, and pointed out every flaw about me, and made me feel disgusted with myself. When I started cutting, in my head it was like I was saying "F--- you" to all of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.