A question for you all (please do contribute...)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Wonderstuff, Apr 11, 2007.

Is she curvy?

1. Yes, I think she's curvy.

5 vote(s)
  2. No, she's not curvy.

20 vote(s)
  3. I don't know/care.

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Ok. Look at this picture and then vote, please, before reading on: Is this girl curvy?

This woman's name is Myleene Klass. You might know her, she used to be in the original Popstars band, Hear'Say, and then she had a short and not particularly successful solo career as a classical musician. However since then, she has become more famous for her stint in the I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here jungle in November, where she spent a lot of time in a white (Rigby & Peller, I think) bikini, causing her to be admired far and wide in the press. She is supposedly a UK size 10 (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 8-10) - which is a US size 6, or 4-6, although I don't know what it is in European sizes, sorry.
    This is not what has made me mad (yes I'm getting there, I promise)...

I've been reading about her in newspapers and magazines and the word which always comes up is "curvy". Do you think this woman is curvy? I know I sure as hell do not. And ok, I might be a bit biased, since she makes me look pretty huge, and I'm rather proud of my boobs and she has hardly any (sorry but it's true). But they've all been applauding her for being curvy in this relentlessly thin world. And then today, I read an interview with her in the new, May edition of Company magazine, which is entitled, "Size zero? No, thanks." Fair enough, size zero is very much the issue people like to take a stand on nowadays...I've been known to share strong opinions on it myself. But the thing that really got to me was this one response. When asked about the bikini, she talks about how it was completely unexpected, yadda yadda. And then: "For me, the best thing to come out of those shower scenes was having women approach me in the street to say thanks for looking like a real woman."

Now hold up there. A 'real woman'? Does she mean Nicole Richie? Because if not, I'm really struggling to see it. Presumably, she didn't mean ONE real woman, she meant that they think she's the embodiment of an average woman. What we, the great public, are really like.

Just to put this HUGELY SKEWED (well in my opinion anyway :tongue: ) pronouncement in perspective, here are some statistics which appeared in the 16th April edition of Now magazine's "Official UK Body Survey":

• The average woman in the UK is a dress size 16. This is equivalent to an American size 12. A TWELVE.
    • The average bra size is a 36C. Somehow I do NOT think that that is the size Myleene wears.
    • The average woman also weighs 10 stone, 2 pounds. This is 142 pounds. Does Myleene look like she weighs that much? Not unless she has VERY heavy bones...
    Now, do you think Myleene's curvy? Or is our society COMPLETELY screwed up, if we seem to think that a woman who is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the national average size - and, let's be honest, quite possibly than the size of a lot of the people we know - really epitomizes the curves and womanhood we should strive to have, simply because she is not *quite* as straight up and down as these size zero models in magazines? This is so stupid!! No wonder so many people suffer from anorexia!!

Views, opinions? - wouldn't you much rather date/be like one of THESE women?:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I personally don't think she is curvy, but I would KILL to look like that.

Sorry, but in my opinion she does have a beautiful figure.

But then I quite like the idea of being a size 0 so maybe I'm not the best person to answer
  3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Okay, again, Im not the best person to answer this. Im trying very hard to word this the right way.

No, she isn't curvy. But there are plently of women out there who are skinnier.
    I agree with Scum, I wouldnt mind looking like that.
    Though, admittedly, I do have a slight problem with my opinion of myself.
    (slight anorexic tendancies?? :unsure: )
    ANYWAY......I have forgotten what the whole point of my reply was now... :unsure:

In my opinion, shes not curvy, but god she looks GOOD. sorry :hiding:
  4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

That is not curvy.

Size 0 isn't desirable - I've yet to meet another man who'd date a woman who's size 0, because it's just not attractive - seeing ribs etc, is not attractive. Not to me anyway.

To me, curves are good. Note, that curves does not mean "Fat".

I think that it's down to the media, although that may be a generalisation, and society's taken the media's viewpoint on board, which is bollocks anyway: and so, anyone who's above 1lb their "perfect" weight must diet, exercise like anything, and get it down to that "perfect" weight. Yet, many many people are over their "perfect" weight, and they are attractive. I think that's important to keep in mind.

Likewise, people need to realise that size 0 isn't nationally desired, and that something like a size 10 / 12 + is much more attractive (to me anyway) than someone who is errring on starving themselves.

Apologies if I may have offended anyone, it wasn't my intention - just my opinion :)
  5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

So being "fat" is bad and unattractive?

SKinny is attractive, healthy, good. Please no1 take offence to that.
  6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

rather off topic, but personally, I couldn't give a stuff what guys think about size 0 or me or anything (just in regards to me, not in general), I want to be that size (even though I know I will never achieve it) for me. Not anyone else. :)
  7. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

A guy's view - No offense to Myleene Klass, but noooooo way. You can see her ribs, her arms are thin. Blergh. She looks completely boring to me (I mean physically, don't mean her personality is boring). Not a sexy bod, though I am known for liking curves. Even the women in the two other pics aren't really curvy enough for me. Women should look like women, not sticks. To be completely blunt, something to cuddle in bed is good! I know I often hold forth on how great curvy girls are, but I'm not the only guy who thinks this way by far.
  8. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

shuldnt it be about how a woman feels most comfortable and happy?

not about how others see her

thats how things like eating disorders start, people trying to look how they thing they *should*
  9. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Heh, curvy? NO way. It's scary many woman are trying to achieve the Size 0 look. I watched a show when Louise Rednapp was involved in an "experiment" to make herself lose enough weight, from a perfectly healthy figure, to fit into a Size 0 dress, and, well, it's not nice. It wasn't nice to watch the suffering she went through to get to a size that wasn't flattering, she looked so unwell, and was on the verge of becoming very ill. The beauty world is messed up, it's no wonder there's a rise in eating disorders in the younger generation in particular.
  10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Slim is attractive and healthy and good, but not when it gets to Myleen's point IMO.

That's when it's not attractive.

And Mal: I agree with you :)
  11. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Yes, but don't most people who want to be thin, only want that because they think it'll change how others see them and that will make them happy?
    I know I personally have thought being a size 0 would be good, maybe I could disappear altogether etc. but even with that knowledge, I can see that saying this woman is the embodiment of how women should look, that they should aspire to be like her, is RUBBISH. Most people I know couldn't even get to look like her if they tried. People should be the size they are, not try and diet and diet in an attempt to change. Some people will *never* be that thin.
    Also, your suggestion that "skinny" is healthy and attractive...yes and no. Being slim - yes, healthier than being obese. But there is a difference between being obese and being curvy and healthy, and equally a difference between being slim and being skinny. Both being extremely skinny and extremely obese are very unhealthy.
  12. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

i just think its a personal thing. that if that woman is happy and content with the way she looks...whether shes a size0 or a size30..than thats all that matters.
    I do agree Moonstar we shouldnt be told how we should look. And the publicity around size0 is probably encouraging people to try it.
  13. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

A good and true point, IMO.

Yup, indeed.
  14. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

okay so about falling for woman, I don't think I'd fall for fat women easily, but then again, what is fat? when do you consider someone to be fat? I'm not excluding it, because I have always fallen for personality and like the 'vibe' they send out to the outworld.

I did notice that most famous people whom I find to be attractive are skinny. but that's just like finding them attractive, purely for their looks.

For me, falling in love with someone, looks don't really matter. It'd be a lie to say they don't matter at all, but it's definitely not something I'd look at first.

and to answer your question, that woman on the picture is definitely NOT curvy imo
  15. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I don't think shes curvy. I mean is thats curvy then i really would hate to see people who are thin compared to that but unfortunately we seem them everyday in the media. I have heard say about being called a 'real woman'

I think its disgusting how they call her a 'curvy' women all that does is encourage other people including other celebrities and vulnerable children to not be 'curvy' but 'thin' in order to look good. Then you have situations like Nicole Richie which is completely unhealthy for her and the people that are seeing her in the media. With Nicole shes put in the media more and more because of the way she looks. Which encourages her stay the 'size 0'. I think the media needs to take a look at what their doing to people in this world. Their potentially destroying peoples lives.

I'll shuddup now lol
  16. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

Don't shut up Vikki! :) It's great to hear other people's points of view. I just thought it was something to ask about, because I seemed to be the only one who thought it was a bit insane :laugh: I'm considering writing to the magazine about it, possibly a newspaper or two as well. We really need to do something about it, you're right, it really is destroying people's lives :(
  17. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

For me curvy means "normal" body, woman with something to grab. Who is soft and has flesh around bones, not bony and tight skinned like this seems to be. She's not as thin as some, but not curvy woman either.

It irritates when natural female beauty isn't appreciated. It's like there would be only two options: fat or thin. That makes natural beautiful girls dream of being skeletal.

Once there was someone complaining how modern women are fat. She had picture of some women on beach, and mocked them ugly. That irritated me very much, because I only saw healthy normal women. They weren't skinny models, they had soft skin and boobs, natural women.

However, face is usually what attracts me first (and of course personality). Then comes the body type. F.ex. there was one girl who would be categorised large, but she had very beautiful nose and eyes that made her attractive. Some girl with pretty form but face that gives no feelings, or there's no spiritual gleam I could love, don't attract despise how admired body she has.
  18. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

And little off-topic, but came into my mind...
    Thin body is adored by the media, but at the same women should have big breasts too. It's disturbing. Skinny woman with plastic silicon balloons is beautiful, but some natural busty women are considered fat.
  19. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Imo, too much is made of appearance. Beyond wholesome personal hygiene looks are just that: looks, and say nothing of what's inside a person's heart and soul.
  20. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Friggin hell she's skinnier than me!! And that says a LOT. She's completely emaciated, and it looks horrible.

On a side note though, its prolly irrelevant coz I'm basically a kid still - but I can't fit into a size 0... I'm too little. :unsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.