A question for you all (please do contribute...)

Is she curvy?

• Yes, I think she's curvy.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No, she's not curvy.

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • I don't know/care.

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're too little for a size zero TDM? :blink: Man, that *is* small...
(But remember she's not a size zero. She's supposed to be a UK 10 or 8, which is an American 4 or 6. So that's still like, even the smaller one, two sizes bigger than size zero. How can that be possible?)
Thanks for replying, it's great to hear your views!

J
The woman is plump and fairly curvy.

If I ever read a magazine aimed at women it goes on about how ugly it is to be thin and how much prettier curvy women are. I make myself overeat just so people don't accuse me of being f*****g anorexic. I've been bullied by people simply because I'm skinny.

I reckon fat people want skinny people to be bigger so that they don't have to feel so bad about being overweight.

Plump!
Sorry, I couldn't reply for a few minutes there because I was laughing so hard.
Plump? Her ribs are visible, how can she be plump?

In the case of your magazine argument, given that in my post I stated that the average woman in the UK is a size 16, and I'd imagine this is similar in other places - is it really so surprising that magazines *aimed* at the average woman choose to say curves are good and it's better not to be skinny? Most people diet at some point in their lives, there is a lot of pressure to be thin.

I'm sorry that you've been bullied for being skinny, but it seems like this might be making you a bit bitter towards people who aren't skinny. Not all people who are "not skinny" are "overweight", you know.

Ruby

I don't think she fits into any particular category. I really don't think she's 'emaciated' and I wouldn't say that she's particularly curvy. I don't know. I'm a UK size 8 and I feel chubby at times. I dislike big round stomachs and I'd much rather be a size 0 than a plus size. I think that size 0 is beautiful and I think that people like Mary kate Olsen, Nicole Richie look stunning. I aspire to be that thin, emaciated even. I hope I don't offend anyone by the way, that wasn't my intention.

Greenforest

Own tastes aren't offending, we all like different things, but when it's said in media that average women should look like something particular, it's offending.

J
Plump!
Plump? Her ribs are visible, how can she be plump?
She has muscle tone, not ribs protruding. She's obviously been doing workouts to tone that part of her body.

This is a woman with her ribs visible:

I'd like to quickly take a moment to show everyone here what anorexia is, and let's not misunderstand each other:

I don't see women striving to look like that, and that is what anorexia is.

In the case of your magazine argument, given that in my post I stated that the average woman in the UK is a size 16, and I'd imagine this is similar in other places - is it really so surprising that magazines *aimed* at the average woman choose to say curves are good and it's better not to be skinny? Most people diet at some point in their lives, there is a lot of pressure to be thin.
I'd like to just highlight your two conflicting statements:
there is a lot of pressure to be thin.
is it really so surprising that magazines *aimed* at the average woman choose to say curves are good and it's better not to be skinny?
You are not being victimized or pressured just because you are over a size 16. You are being victimized and pressured because you are allowing yourself to be a victim and allowing yourself to be pressured. You people choose to read those magazines, you choose to read/watch those things. Is it anyone's fault that these people want to read these magazines in the first place, idolize or look up to celebrities?

Last time I walked into a UK clothes shop, the smallest size they did was a size 8-10. And they did up to sizes 18-20. So keeping that in mind, is society not tailoring them in clothes sizes? Because most stores I go into they don't tend to cater for people who are a smaller size, but there's plenty of plus sizes if you ask staff in-store.

I'm sorry that you've been bullied for being skinny, but it seems like this might be making you a bit bitter towards people who aren't skinny. Not all people who are "not skinny" are "overweight", you know.
I'm sure you feel veeeerrrry sorry for people that you laugh at.
Plump!
Laughing/mocking what a person has said is looking down on them.
When you laugh at things I say you are laughing at me.
Feelig sorry for a person is looking down on them.
To be a nice person, you treat somebody like an equal.
You laugh at me for what I consider to be a certain body type? You don't want opinions on this thread, you just want strangers on the internet to agree with you.

You said that the average womens clothes size in the UK was a size 16, keeping in mind that the percentage of people that are overweight in the UK is 50%, and 60% of adults find it difficult to get clothes in their size. So there is a mere 10% remaining...

...Hmmm!

And here's something I really want you to think on. If most women are pressured to be thin, then why are most women a size 16? If they were feeling the need to be thin, wouldn't the average dress size be much smaller? Let's say a size 12, to be fair?

I look forward to your feedback on this subject, this is an interesting debate.

Last edited:

~Nobody~

I just spent about half an hour replying to this sodding thread and the computer fucked itself and it all got lost after I hit 'post'. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bloody marvellous.

I give up. Sod it.

Ruby

I agree with whoever said you can't see her ribs. I don't find the above pictures triggering and I DO look at thinspiration, I just think it looks grotesque. :sad:

You are not being victimized or pressured just because you are over a size 16. You are being victimized and pressured because you are allowing yourself to be a victim and allowing yourself to be pressured. You people choose to read those magazines, you choose to read/watch those things. Is it anyone's fault that these people want to read these magazines in the first place, idolize or look up to celebrities?

Bullshit. I never said only those over a size 16 were pressured/victimised/whatever. That's not true anyway, it affects people of all sizes. And what do you mean by 'these people'? You mean the unfortunate ones who "allow" themselves to be pressured and victimised? People want to fit in and be liked. That's human nature. I don't know anyone who specifically gets up in the morning and thinks, ok, I want to get through the day while completely standing out so that everyone stares at me and no one likes me. And the overriding image of today is: Thin. I mean, if it's not celebrities and adverts and books and movies and magazines (because it IS everywhere. You might think it's easily avoided but it isn't, not at all), then it's all those prophets of doom in the newspapers and on TV who keep saying we all have to really be careful, etc. etc. or else we'll all end up obese. I'm not trying to say that obesity isn't a problem, because I know it is. Very high rate of childhood obesity, 1 in 3 teenagers is overweight, etc. etc. But sometimes people just go too far and risk pushing people in the other direction, towards being overly vigilant against becoming obese, and this is a problem too. We need a healthy balance - something which is terribly lacking.

Jawa said:
Last time I walked into a UK clothes shop, the smallest size they did was a size 8-10. And they did up to sizes 18-20. So keeping that in mind, is society not tailoring them in clothes sizes? Because most stores I go into they don't tend to cater for people who are a smaller size, but there's plenty of plus sizes if you ask staff in-store.
I don't know where you shop, but most places I go to, the smallest size they stock is a size 6. In fact, I was in a shop just last week where they stocked a size 4. Surely that's enough 'catering to smaller sizes'? Most places I've been in lately stop at a 16, too. But even at an 18-20, given that sizes can go up much higher than that, that's still a pretty small size. Granted, most people who require sizes larger than that will be very unhealthy and many of them will have got that way through bad food choices and whatnot, but some won't have. Some have illnesses that prevent them being able to do things.

Jawa said:
I'm sure you feel veeeerrrry sorry for people that you laugh at.
I wasn't actually laughing at you. That's what we call "sarcasm". I just couldn't believe that you'd said she was plump.

Jawa said:
Laughing/mocking what a person has said is looking down on them.
When you laugh at things I say you are laughing at me.
Feelig sorry for a person is looking down on them.
To be a nice person, you treat somebody like an equal.
You laugh at me for what I consider to be a certain body type? You don't want opinions on this thread, you just want strangers on the internet to agree with you.
I suppose it was quite mocking. I apologise for that. But what you've got to understand is that thinking someone who is a size 8 is plump? Not really a very healthy view. I'm not saying it's abnormal or anything - in fact it's becoming scarily normal. But it's pretty unhealthy. People come in all shapes and sizes, that's just how nature is. It's possible to be healthy and be larger than a size 8.
Like I said, I didn't actually laugh. Technically I'm not treating you a less than an equal, and I'm sorry if you feel that way. I just find it sad that you really believe that a size 8 can be plump. And while that may appear to be a belief that my view can be the only one that is right, while everyone else is wrong (something for which, if you know me, you'll know I've berated my mother for many a time on issues about homosexuality), I really don't feel like that.
Finally, I do want to hear people's opinions. I want to hear what you think, why you think it. I want to see if I can change some people's minds. Not because I want to brainwash people or anything, but simply because I think many people are being influenced hugely by the media and society and pressure to be thin, and they don't even know it. I just want to make people see that there really is more to this than "big is bad. thinner is better."

Jawa said:
You said that the average womens clothes size in the UK was a size 16, keeping in mind that the percentage of people that are overweight in the UK is 50%, and 60% of adults find it difficult to get clothes in their size. So there is a mere 10% remaining...

...Hmmm!

And here's something I really want you to think on. If most women are pressured to be thin, then why are most women a size 16? If they were feeling the need to be thin, wouldn't the average dress size be much smaller? Let's say a size 12, to be fair?

I look forward to your feedback on this subject, this is an interesting debate.
I didn't say they found it difficult to get clothes in their *size*, I said they found it difficult to get clothes to *fit*. And that includes people who like me, are not all one size, but are different sizes on the top and bottom, of whom there are probably (just my own opinion here) considerably more than those who find that clothes in stores are only sold in sizes too big for them.
And in answer to your question of if women were feeling pressured wouldn't the average dress size be much smaller: NO.
Bear in mind that the "average" will take into account both extremely thin people and extremely large people. Apart from that, have you seen any women's magazines lately? They're full of details of faddy diets and 'finding your happy weight' and 'learning to love your body as it is', because women find it so hard to lose weight. Something like six out of ten people have a negative body image. Three out of four women think they should lose weight, but only 45% are actively trying to do so. When you think about it that way, that's a lot of unhappy women, all because of celebrities and models and magazines which place a lot of emphasis on being thin, and people warning that we'll all be obese if we don't watch ourselves!
Why can't we just try to eat healthily and do a bit of exercise - nothing extreme - simply for the value of being healthy and not in an attempt to lose weight, and just like ourselves the way we are?

Last edited by a moderator:

Panther

oooh I love Myleene Klass I think she's fab and got a great personality .. probably going off topic here but hey.. as for my vote, I went don't know/care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00