A question that I was asked...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Daphna, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I was recently asked the question, "What drives people to suicide?"

I thought about my own experience and I was able to sum it up into one word. Hopelessness

If you were to sum it up into one word; what would it be for you?

2. ba51th

ba51th Well-Known Member

hopelessness...

and...

no better choice... (sorry, can't sum it up into a word...)

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you for answering.

4. Rookie

Rookie Active Member

Anguish/pain/exhaustion... there are too many to ask for a single word... in my case at least

5. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

despair. despair combines hopelessness, anguish, an unendurable suffering all in one little package. DESPAIR.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Despair, hopelessness, anguish, desperation.

7. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

All studies I have read up to this time point to one thing, Psychache. Summed up as mental pain. Hopelessness is a terrible mental pain.

8. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Agreed, all of the above + shame, remorse, guilt, horror - there are any number of negatives but all combined = hopelessness

9. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Going against the grain.

Apathy.

10. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

Makes you realize why most major religions give people a way to cope with those exact things. I like Buddishm because you don't have to believe in God, guilt and all that. Buddishm helped me to understand what Christianity means by sin (i.e. bad Karma in Buddishm).

Somehow all of us humans need a way to process and release shame, remorse and guilt. It may be through meditation, confession, prayer, or whatever. If you just let it sit there it will eat you alive. None of us are alone in that.

Anyway, I still suffer with the above too, but honestly, studying various religions, and putting some of that into practice, has helped break me out of a vicious cycle.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  11. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Just goes to show that we are all spiritual beings, having a human experience! :)

As William Wordsworth wrote: "Trailing clouds of glory do we come, from God who is our home".....

And if you don't want to believe in God, substituting the word 'Truth' helps us in our various journeys. After all, Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, the life....." :)

12. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No hope for the future. Well, that's a few words, but it sums it up best for me.

13. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

heartache

14. Lonelyness...feeling like u can't go another night knowing that this feeling is for the rest of your life

15. PinkiePieInTheSky

PinkiePieInTheSky Well-Known Member

The pointlessness of all human life. Laundry. You work and work doing it, but it's never finished.

Loneliness kind of works as an amplifier for my pain; I am already sad, and I get sadder since I feel like I have no one I can express my pain to.

16. Good question.
    Personally it's been a number of things at different times but still, it could always be summed up in one word each time - though the word was different each time.

-Loss
    -Despair
    -Complacency
    -Loneliness
    -Hatred
    -Guilt
    -Longing
    -Regret
    -Hope

To sum it up in one word, wow... That's really profound. I've never thought about what I struggle with that way. Thank you. Some things are more clear now for me.

17. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Pointlessness (as in why are we here?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.