A question

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Porcelain, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

Some people may or may not know....but I work for a frontline ambulance service....I self harmed until only a few years ago and now I have other issues but I go to a lot of people that have self harmed or od'ed......for all of you that also self harm ect say if an ambulance was called to you would it help you somehow if the ambulance person attending to you knew a little of what you may be going through? Would it help if they said they had done similar things before? I only ask because I wonder sometimes if I should say that I have done or thought of doing similar things??

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Well hun, I don't think so. Having worked as a nurse and Cardiac tech, I found my patients wanted nothing but professionalism from me and a kind word.
    Best to keep it professional.

3. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

See, thats' what I have been told and I worked in a hospital before this on a ward and it's a completely different environment. I didn;t realise how different until I chamged my job. Frontline staff see the raw emotions and the initial consequences of things....along with family members, different settings and so on....It's different....And sometimes I just want to say...I know...I know.....I understand and it CAN get better...it can...you know? I mean, I know I'm not completely sane and brilliant and comfortable with myself but I don;t do that stuff anymore.....I think about it sometimes but I don;t do it.....and maybe it would help some people?? Cus right now, I mean I try and get people talking but it doesn;t seem to make a difference and I would just love to be that one person that really makes them think that maybe, just maybe things could be ok.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

yeah I know it's hard...worked A&E and wanted to say stuff that would have been unprofessional just to comfort. But they need treatment of their cuts, burns etc. Just be as kind as you can and I found some were greatly comforted by just a hand to hold.

5. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

Unless they know that you had self harmed or OD'ed or whatever, then it would probably just piss them off. there is nothing I can't stand worse than what appears to be false understanding and care. If they don't know you, then they won't know that your feelings are genuine. They will just not care. Keep it professional unless you are prepared to show your scars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.