a question

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Stormhand, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormhand

Stormhand Well-Known Member

I have a friend who claims to have D.I.D. a dual personality disorder.
    But sometimes I do and do not believe her, its so hard to tell if its true or not.

I know Mary, very sweet, loves her boyfriend dearly, some day wants kids.
    Though her other personality, who i shall call V for now, contradicts her, she seems to hate kids, hates the idea of putting herself bellow any man, but she to has grown to love the boyfriend also, just not as much in certain areas, very opinionated and a bit reckless.
    As hard telling it is, I am unsure if this is some sort of way of dealing with her doubts and insecurities, or could be some kind of self defense mechanism, or she is actually faking it.
    But personally, I have to view both of them as the same person, cause in ways they are alike characteristically.

The funny part is the more aggressive side fears merging with Mary, she feels weakness, and she thinks Mary is too weak and naive, where Mary really hopes for this to happen.

I talked to Mary the topic of merging one night as we was driving, I mentioned to Mary that V fears of merging, cause she wants control of herself, and like I said before she thinks Mary is too weak and naive and has ben taken advantage of too much, but I told all of this, it made V emerge, the whole topic of her being afraid pissed her off, the way I noticed she emerged was how she put her hair up, but man was she pissed.

but like i said before I don't know if she is faking or not, any opinions?
  2. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

If she is faking - time will tell.

Does she claim to be co conscious? (both are aware of everything that is going on) Do they communicate with "each other"... Are there instances of amnesia not explainable any other way?

Dissociation like most things can be found on a continuum, so it doesn't have to be obvious, but only a professional who specializes in trauma could determine if she has DID... or some milder separation, either way she is disturbed and needs help.

The personalities in DID are most certainly just part of the complete person... some more separate than others yet "they" are her, just in part. Pieces of consciousness are walled away to escape that which is too difficult for the rest to handle. It almost always starts very young, while the personality is developing, due to some terrible traumatic existence that could not possibly have been handled otherwise. Sounds like V is just Mary's protector (usually just terrified and firing off) and needs acceptance also.

Get a professional - this is just my personal experience talking.
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Wow, that's difficult. I've never encounter D.I.D first hand, only on television.
    But from what I have seen Mary wouldn't remember almost anything V had said or done and vice versa, so that could be one way to see if she is faking or not. Is there a way you can check this?
  4. Stormhand

I know both personalities are aware of each other, and yes V seems the protective type, when Mary is pushed into a corner, V comes out.
    I wish she could get a counselor atleast, I know she needs it, but she has no insurance.
  5. Stormhand

Personally I have to view both as the same person, just 2 sides of the same coin, all in all she is a very sweet girl.
  6. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

A person can have that wall up between the pieces of who they are and still know what is going on when the other is "out"... that is what co-conscious is. That also makes the situation easier to work with.

The point is to find a counselor on a "sliding scale" or part of a not for profit organization that would see her for next-to-nothing fees. She does need someone to talk things out with. She is lucky to have someone who cares about her - having a "healing relationship" is essential.

Take care of yourself for you, and so you can be there for her!
  7. Stormhand

Oh I plan to.
    This whole thing is not too difficult to deal with for me.
    I have had my own identity problems just not to this extreme, so to one point I can understand.
  8. lambwell

lambwell Banned Member

This is very difficult I know but can you please tell me the actual problem?
  9. Stormhand

Unsure what the actual problem is.
    But from what I have seen she goes into these dazes like she is zoning out.
    And usually if they become constant her protective personality emerges, or she goes into a panic attack.
    Lately the two personalities have been merging ALOT.
    At most 4 days straight at a time..that I can tell.
    And after the 4 day period, Mary leaves and V emerges.
    Mary is in ways just like a sweet kid at heart, modest, demure, but not good under pressure.
    But V however is better in strenuous situations.
    A lot of times I see similarities in character of the two personalities, sometimes more then others.

So all I can see as a problem..is when she is under pressure, criticized or insulted..I deliberately did that once just to see if I could make her come out. I insulted her dignity a bit.
    So Mary just does not seem to want to take any sort of negativity, that I can tell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.