A quick question

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ginko, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginko

Ginko Member

I heard that if someone survives suicide their chances of succeeding are greater if they attempt it again. Is this true?

2. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Depends on whether they switch methods or improve on the last method.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i hadn't heard that, but i have heard that you are at greater risk of attempting again if you have tried before. perhaps it is because you have already taken that step once before, so it is less frightening.

4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I wouldn't necessarily have thought so. I know people who have tried many times and are still here. I suppose if you're taking into account the chance element then I suppose that may change but otherwise I'd think it's like tossing a coin... probability the same no matter how many times you toss it!

5. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

50:50 you die or you live

6. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

It's possible.

The more you try something the better you get..... I am sure every time you attempt you'd get better, but I doubt you will die just because you try a 2nd time.
    I have tried 4 times and sadly I am still here.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It is possible!! I have already attempted it once. Now I am not afraid of death. I have also changed the way I would try this next time.

8. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Well, it depends. Every attempt your body will get weaker and not be able to fight as much. And yeah, I also agree, it's a mind thing. You have taken that step to attempt and so you know you have it in you to attempt again.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have never heard that theory. As the others have said, many factors probably play into that. Probability, experience, compromised body systems, choices, etc.

10. Ginko

Ginko Member

Thank you all. This has been helpful.

11. sandalwood

sandalwood Well-Known Member

a little unrelated but, mushishi? :)

12. Ginko

Ginko Member

It is spelled like the name from Mushishi but its also homage to the ginkgo tree in which I am fond of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.