A Quit Smoking Thread for everyone!!!

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

I have been fighting with the Marlboros for 48 yrs now.. I smoked last one at 7am PST just a bit ago... changed my quitdate on quintet.com just now and posted in the quitstop forum..

got 2 hours of mine time to stay quit until I get busy with lawn. bank and such.. lord I thought I had a real love/hate relationship with my psych meds.. that is miniscule compared to my relationship with the cursed Marlboros.. how does some thing go from salvation to a really cursed so damn quick within me??????

jimbo.. just do not go buy the cigarettes!!!!
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My method for quitting years ago was not so unique. It was based upon having things. I added up what smoking cost, then figured out what I could buy instead with that money. In my case, I decided that was guitars. I have about 140 of them now. Yes, smoking cost does add up.

Do the math, then decide what you would enjoy more.
  3. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

I quit smoking last Friday. So far its going alright. Well, when I say alright, I mean that so far I have not attempted to kill anyone yet.

I have added up what smoking costs me and I have decided to buy myself a new watch out of the money that I save from not smoking. Unfortunately its quite an expensive watch so it will take me 10 weeks of not smoking to afford it. Roll on Friday 7th June!

Good luck with quitting Jimk. I think we're both gonna need it! :frusty:
  4. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

I quit smoking about a year ago. Since then the addiction has taken control of my body and continued the habit for me. I suck at this quiting game lol
  5. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Syn a big hug headed in your direction.. Terrible beast to overcome.. You did quit for awhile and that very good..hopefully you will be able to climb back on the wagon successfully soon. Be kind to yourself..
  6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I am not quiting smoking just yet,butIhave greatly reduced how much I do smoke.

Have you thought about putting money into a jar every time you want a cigarette, (the amount you put in is equal to what one would cost) and then at the endof the week treating yourself to something big ?
  7. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Just think of the games, cds and stuff you would be able to afford if you quit smoking x
  8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Just wondering how it is going Jim?
  9. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Ben to be truthful here I have to say I have not been able to do much beyond a day without the nicotine brigade.. after about 15 hours without I start to lose my mind and body and soul to one thing... I want a bloody god damn Marlboro.. then spend a bit more time trying everything can come up with just to avoid.. then next thing I know have done the 5 moinute trip up and back to 711 and ashtray has a lit smoke in it.. 48 yrs smoking is a lot of habit and history to overcome..

first of may I have my first apt with a brand new medicare therapist.. kristy O'Connor. see how good a fit that is very quickly.. I need some help with this.. I can live with being a smoker.. kicked worse demons and never looked back.. Marlboros is much tougher for me to shake..
  10. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Sorry Jim - but it sounds like you are doing well to me.
    You allowed yourself to run out and that is a victory in itself.
    You know you can decide not to smoke for an hour or even several hours if you decide to and that is progress and hard earned knowledge.
    It is not an illegal habit that is encouraging crime and you are certainly old enough

Much like exercise and dieting - they are things that we all know would be better but I do not think choosing differently makes somebody a worse person (I happen to know some incredibly physically fit non-smokers that are assholes and would prefer to hang out with anybody but them)

I smoked for many years. Because of what I did for many of those years I was forced to "not smoke" for days or even weeks sometimes so my habit evolved differently and I learnt that it was a choice. I suppose that makes it worse - I can not claim an addiction to nicotine as an excuse but still sometimes smoke even though it is the worst possible thing in the world for my physical condition. No excuse for it but that I choose to. And I do not beat myself up over that choice. No need for you to either.

To be honest Jim - the only reason I am interested in your progress is because I care about you and how you feel about it. The only thing that makes it important is if it helps you feel better about yourself I am always pleased when a friend feels better - happen to think you are a damn good person already....
  11. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Ben thanks for thoughts and words here.. Very hard for me to hear someone say nice things about me!!! Heard so much of the opposite growing up.. Bout time to take words like that the way they art intended..

Almost 66 yrs now and I am still a work in progress!!! To keep trying is what really counts!!!
  12. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Like Ben I don't like hearing you bear yourself up about smoking or finding it hard to quit. Be kinder to yourself.
  13. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

I'm trying to quit again... I'm gonna fuckin' fail...
  14. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Syn.. Couple of hugs headed to you now.. You can do without the damn things..you have done it before!!!! Wonderful website.. Quitnet.com full of thousands of good people in all the stages of this war..forums and chat rooms busy most of the time..

If your fingers busy very hard to smoke!!!lol. You find yourself with some time without and starting to waver is always ok to send me a private message!!! Will get back to you soon as I can..

I am going to run out about Thursday.. Will be trying to find some people to talk to then..misery loves company!!!lol

Best wishes hon, jim
  15. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I only smoke when I drink, which is becoming more frequent lately. I usually don't inhale much smoke, but I am doing that more lately, even trying to inhale the smoke in the air. It's more of trying to punish myself, but it's also become an addiction that's hard to break, just like my other ones. I wish anyone luck that is trying to quit, I know you can do it :D
  16. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Stopped smoking at 4am today..little short of sleep ATM and John up for the day now.. Got first hour under my belt..ok now!!!

John and I drinking coffee and listening to lady antebellum's golden cd.. 3 of them solve a ton of things..lol
  17. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

just in cause some fellow smokers following this thread I feel it is necessary for me to fess up now.. I made it about 20 horus without and then urge just got overpowering and I did 5 minute trip up and back to 711 for some Marlboros.. at the moment I am feeling I will be a smoker for rest of my life.. tired atm of doing battle with the Marlboros..lol
  18. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

I'm planning on trying to quit this summer. Tired of coughing and one thing I realized my sinuses keep messing up. I rather be able to breathe than have this nasty habit take control over me.
  19. poison

poison Well-Known Member

That is all.
  20. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I have so far made it to 14 weeks without after 10 years on them.

I think what helped me was realisation that I was associating it with stress relief, therefore masking what I was doing with justification of my actions. Realising that helped me understand if I looked at what I did, not what I was trying to convince myself was the reason not to quit, I would have a better chance. 14 weeks later with no replacements for the hand to mouth association, and my approach seems to be working
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.