A request...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by In Limbo, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I should preface this by saying I'm someone who's recently found a greater faith in God, I'd class myself as a Christian, but a very liberal one.

A request to people of a religious persuasion:

Please do not put God is the answer to everything when you reply. Suicidal and depressed people, and I speak as someone who's previously been both - do not respond well to something that is on the surface totally irrational and not readily demonstrable.

And when entering arguments on any subject - please take the time to respond to the points given. It is noticeable that many religious people here are very short-sighted in debate - not all of them - but the majority. God may be the answer for you but He is not for everyone straight away. It came to me without any pushing from third parties, and that is probably why my faith has stayed this time.

To use the Terry Pratchett quote again - and by the way he is an agnostic....

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it"

Thank you for reading.

2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

i agree

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I see what you are saying, though on the flipside, it is as concrete for people of beliefe. So... in the soap box it is just as valid as any others. The real beauty is the understanding the comes from both sides when each can appricate eachothers positions. Just my opinon.

4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

As a christian I approve of this post :thumbs:

5. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I understand it's concrete for people of belief - I count myself as one, I'm merely saying that coming across as a one-size-fits-all 'God is the answer' type does not work. I've been on both sides of the fence and have hopped back and forth before, which is why I felt able to post this.

I would never suggest my faith to another because I believe God to be completely personal in many ways. I may pray for that person, I may well discuss the nature of God and faith and religion with others but I would not dare say that I have it completely right in the sense that much of what God does we do not fully understand.

For example I believe that people of other faiths will be judged by their deeds not by their religious practices, because at the end of the day I believe God to be forgiving and understanding and judging of worth rather than of cronyism - for want of a better word - of 'who has the right God/Holy book/headwear/rules about eating meat/views on homosexuality etc etc etc.

6. oval

oval Well-Known Member

well i personally believe in god but not in religion. everybody has their own guide lines in life. and i have come across people trying to shove their religion and their values down your throat which causes never ending threads and conflicts.
    so i think we should keep religious views out of debates here bc it leads no where
    everyone give each other a hug and no more fighting on here :starwars: :laugh:

7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Amen to that! (pun intended)

8. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Your voice of reason is much appreciated. A lot of people are cynical enough about religion without dealing with it's abrasive elements. We should always try to set the standards for our beliefs.

9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I do believe in God and that he alone is the judge of everyone on earth...but I don't force my beliefs onto others nor do I reject others' beliefs...everyone is here for a reason, and it is for them to find out...at least its my take on it...and the only person above them should be God, no one else...

I have to admit though, that sometimes in debates I do bring out my beliefs when someone else is using theirs in attempt to hurt others or force them...not to say I'm better than them, but simply telling them that God will judge, not them...but I guess somehow that is imposing? it is hard to remain neutral sometimes...but I do try hard not to judge anyone...

10. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

From my perspective I find no problem when a person uses God as an answer in their replies as I think, they truly believe that religion/god is rational and demonstrable. I think as well for the most part those types of answers/threads tend to be contained in the soapbox area which is appropriate as the soapbox allows for debate. In any of the threads i've read here I dont think the goal is to convert people to ones own way of thinking but rather, its to express the positions and beliefs ones holds and to try and defend those positions. You may disagree with the way they go about expressing there beliefs but at least its honest and is I think, what they truly believe. I think there is nothing wrong with debating those positions, even if it seems circular and never ending. Its just a debate as long as it stays civil then i see no problems with imo.

11. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I sort of agree.

I think it's okay for people to say how a religion or God has helped them, but I think it is wrong when they start forcing it onto vulnerable people telling them it's a way out of depression/feeling suicidal. When someone is in such a low state of mind, they'll do almost anything to get out of it, so being told something like that WILL work for them is wrong. But then saying ANYthing would certainly help them, is also wrong. I only disagree with religion even more so, because to me, it seems like people just "recruit".

Having said that, as I said before, I don't think badly when people say how something has helped them, even religion. As long as they're not pushing it onto someone and making them promises that will not be kept.

12. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

i rarely seen that happen here (where someone tries to force religion on someone vulnerable) and it never goes unchallenged, but thats just what i've seen happen here...

13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yar im in the same mindset.

Im not trying to debate or bring your point down, as I agree with it. I just find that people here who are of beliefe/religion are generally quite good. We get into debates here, but both sides offer generally good points from eacho side of the fence. It might appear thick headed from one side, but the same goes from the other side. I donno, I haven't met many, if any really here that are so far up their ass about beleife that its so utterly blinding to more concrete facts.
    Again, not arguing your point :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.