A Rotten Day

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Eleventyone, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventyone

Eleventyone Member

*Ok, before I start I would like to say inB4 "Well what about the kids in Africa?!" or "At least you are alive!"

Today was not a good day. I work in a call center and I got stuck on an hour and a half call with a man who was understandably mad about a very high bill. He wasn't the problem. The problem was my manager yelling at me for being on said hour and a half long call. She told me it was my fault because I should have hung up on the guy and if I don't get my stats up, I will be written up. It upset me so much that I went into an uncontrollable coughing and vomiting fit. When I told mom and dad about it, they proceeded to yell at me more saying things like "Why don't you do something with your life instead of working in the call center?" and "You aren't trying to do anything with your life". They often ask me why I don't go to them to talk about my problems...well, this is why.

I am currently looking for jobs in my field, but a good portion of me just wants to throw in the towel. I'm thinking car parked in closed garage and turned on.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm sorry people were berating you today...you didn't deserve that at all :hug: It wasn't your fault, all you were doing was trying to help the guy with his bill and your boss should have understood that. It can be hard to talk to people about your problems when they don't understand or don't try to. That's why I don't often share my feelings with people. I hope you don't throw in the towel because I think you can find a job that will be good for you and less stressful. Please don't give up.

3. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

I might not sound right and I don't have answers for everything but what helps me for the most part is reading. Good books that is including bible. Focus on that and u might feel better.

4. Eleventyone

Eleventyone Member

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it :) I should go find a good book, but it won't be the bible...the bible only makes me feel worse because I will never be good enough for Jesus.

5. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

You don't have anything to be ashamed of eleventyone... As I see it, you were simply trying to do the right thing (funny how that can lead to such disastrous consequences?). In the future, you may have to follow your boss's orders, he/she/it is only concerned about the bottom line, and is running the show, not to mention doing their best to earn their job-title! And as for your folks, that's got to be hard, but so long as you are satisfied with what you are both doing and trying to do, then it is only their opinion, and that is their right, but that does not mean you have to agree with it.

6. Eleventyone

Eleventyone Member

Thank you :) That makes me feel a little better. I hope I can find a job in my field...I've applied several places recently, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Ah that's crap :( I can't say why you stayed on that phonecall, but that's rather respectable that you gave that person that sort of time. I can understand where the manager is coming from, but if he was a client, and there was alot of work and things to explain to him, well.. that's your job. an hour and a half though? Bloody hell he must have been pumped. Defiantly if your manager is yelling at you, your manager doesn't know how to manage :). Just my opinon, but if you are in charge of managing, yelling at your co-workers, especially at a call centre is counter-productive.
    Anyhow.. sorry to hear about your parents. The best thing I can suggest is that they care about the direction you are going with your life and want the best for you. That is by no means an appriopriate way of actually being a parent if all they're not standing with you on how your life is right now. Idk what you've got going or how you want your life, but don't let people bring you down. You'll get jerks on the phone, asshole co-workers,.. parents that want the "best for you". But try to remember they're just people. It's your life. And tbh it wasnt your fault for the phone call. The guy obviously had a beef that you didn't start, but you had to deal with. If your manager had a problem he should have come over and asked to take over the phone call. As for your parents? That's parents for you sometimes. They see what they want, but not what's being said in the moment sometimes.
    Like someone said, take a moment for you. There's not much to be learned from this tbh except for how ignorant some people can be. Try not to dwell on it, it's not particularly worth your time imo.
    Yeah... don't read the bible, read garfield or a nice novel lol just my opinon. :)

8. Eleventyone

Eleventyone Member

I do want to make them happy (my parents, at this point I don't really care about my manager who tells me one thing and then something completely opposite)...I just have very little idea how to get started.

9. justMe7

You want to make your parents happy? Do what makes you happy and smile :) You can get lost in doing things for other people, and it only gives them a certain degree of happyness. But if you are doing something that makes you happy, and they see that.. that is the best way to make someone you care about happy. The more happy you are, the more things you'll want to do, and will do.

10. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

You see, this is what I am talking about, courage (to me, okay?). I got my degree three and a half years ago and still cannot find the strength to even try to get a job in my field! So, good for you, you've got a lot to be proud of. :)

11. Eleventyone

Eleventyone Member

Oh he was mad alright...it was over a 3,000$ phone bill. I don't blame him one little bit... I was supposed to get off the call once my manager said they were talking to corporate, but I really, REALLY felt bad about hanging up on him or just brushing him off. I simply couldn't do that.

And yes, a good happy novel would be nice :D

12. justMe7

omg 3 grand?? Holy shit. Yeahhh Id be a bit narked off myself if that came in the mail or tried to be debited from my account :|

If you want to take something from this situation, when your manager said corporate was taking over, maybe next time address the individual and inform him that the right department is going to be taking over the situation directly with him, and give him your best wishes. Idk.. i found it interesting doing call centre work. It's difficult to let people know you're treating them like a person instead of the next number. Bugger... 3 grand :p talk about a bombshell. Hey you know what, you kept him stable on that phone and things were getting sorted. That's something to smile about atleast :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.