A.S.S.U.M.E. makes an Ass of U + Me!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by youRprecious!, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

or "How the Psyche does its Sums"

Scenario: Near where I live is a suburb called Petone.

Now, depending on where you live in the world, there are different pronunciations of that name. People born and raised in UK would say 'Pet - One'. Whereas the Maori say 'Pe-Tone-ee'.

So, true story, someone straight off the boat from England takes a train to this suburb, thinking he was going to a funny-named place called Pet One. Not being entirely sure of how far this was from where the train started, he assumed he would hear the guard calling out the names of the stations as they passed through - he ended up miles further inland because the guard never said what he was waiting to hear.

Moral of the story being (and why I put this in Soap Box) is beware of assumptions, they can bite U on the ass! Don't assume about how things are going to be before you actually get there :)

Anyone got any more assuming stories?
  2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I make the assumption people are nice and still hold a puppy like belief of trust. It's a major character flaw I am working on because it's made an ass of my life
  3. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Yes. In youth I made the assumption that my parents or other responsible parties would always drop what they were doing and rush over to me whenever I acted out. Based on this assumption, I started brouhaha after brouhaha on top of Béarnaise sauce.

Later, when my half-naked butt hit the concrete with a dull thud, I was disabused of that notion. My emergencies are simply not someone else's problem.

By the way, I like Petone = "Pet - One" and Petone = "Pe - Tone - ee." I always thought it would be "Puh - Tone." Chalk it up to our thoroughly uninformative spelling system.

I'm also curious how NZ thinks of it as inland, when the map shows it has a waterfront. But that bay is almost so enclosed to be a lake, I guess. Another way Americans will assume everyone else in the English-speaking world thinks like they do. The picture of it looks pretty.
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. youRprecious!

The train went on past Petone into the Wairapa Hats, which is inland. Petone is on the waterfront, but he didn't get off there cos he was waiting to hear the guard say Pet One......... Which got me to thinking, he must have been in lala-land or dozing or something not to see the sign from the carriage window - but there you go........ I suppose he assumed he didn't need to.

It is a mercy to become dis-abused of our assumptions, isn't it? Painful though it is at the time..........
  5. youRprecious!

How right you are about Trust, and the need to learn how to trust wisely......... I do still want to trust that people are, on the whole, nice...... but if ever they are crossed or pressurised or disappointed it can be a totally other scenario (..... why does my mind think of my mother-in-law?!.....)

My mentor on the subject: "Trust need not be dangerous, if I know how to trust. It is up to me to know who is and who isn't worthy of my trust. Innocent naivety is dangerous in this world and trust must first be earned before I entrust my body, heart, children or finances to another person. (Sick thinkers say 'OK' when they should be saying 'No Way!". Due to a sheltered background or internal pressure they are either much too optimistic or naïve or because of early betrayal, they cynically trust nobody at all and put walls up, preventing the possibility of loving or being loved.)

But understanding this helps us understand more about our own psyches and about life, and the reality that each day we can start over and integrate the mistakes made because of assumptions into our new way of thinking:) The trick is, not to let them get us down, by choosing to focus on the best way to see them :) "The steps to maturity are necessarily immature"........ so we can accept that this is how it is, that's what I always try to keep in mind now :)
  6. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I think even in the US it might be a dialect/language thing.

I read it as Pe-Tone-ee.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.