A safety plan for a Covidian world

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Covid is a nasty virus and causes a lot of very real, long-lasting physical pain and suffering for many of those afflicted with it. As bad as that is, it also causes a huge amount of mental stress and anxiety for everyone, at all times. I'm not a doctor, or a nurse. Not a biologist, or a psychologist. I'm not even a janitor at the free clinic. But I thought I'd share what I'm doing to help myself not just be safer, but also to feel safer. Because, unlike an impending meteor strike, those two are entirely possible with something like a pandemic. Staying positive can help us stay negative! (see what I did there?)

These couldn't be more simple and basic, but they work for me.

1. Vitamin D3 and zinc. Everyday. Nothing fancy, radical or complicated, just your basic over the counter supplements, which cost practically nothing. It works. Google it.

2. I keep my mouth shut. Firmly, at all times, when I'm in an enclosed public space with a lot of people. I'm not yapping into my phone incessantly, or yawning, or chatting with the people around me about the weather. I don't even lick my lips.

3. In addition to keeping my yap shut, I also try to maintain as much distance as possible from others in enclosed public spaces (social distancing is a breeze for me, I independently invented it like 30 years ago)

4. Vigorous hand washing when getting back to a low risk environment, followed by washing my face.

That's all I got (is it? .... Yeah, I think so). If anybody wants to share what they're doing to be and feel healthy, go for it.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I hope I get the joke virus (probably already have, actually), my immune system will go to work and that'll be the end of it.
It does work that way for some. For others like myself it's a much different story. Time will tell, but the after effects could likely be permanent for me.

I follow a similar approach when I have to go out @Human Ex Machinae, it's the best I can do. Need to give my masks all I wash this weekend, keeping them clean is also important.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
A couple of months ago I tried wearing a mask, and I had a lot of trouble breathing. After slowly suffocating for 20 minutes, I gave up. This Wednesday I decided to try it again, because I think it's really important. I tried a full day's commuting, back and forth to work. Can't do it. I was hauling so much air into my lungs through and around the mask, trying to get enough oxygen, I don't see how I was more protected. This is because, even though I don't smoke anymore, I spent most of my life smoking. It's not because masks are a bad idea or anything like that. Anyone who can should wear a mask. Unfortunately, I can't.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
A couple of months ago I tried wearing a mask, and I had a lot of trouble breathing. After slowly suffocating for 20 minutes, I gave up. This Wednesday I decided to try it again, because I think it's really important. I tried a full day's commuting, back and forth to work. Can't do it. I was hauling so much air into my lungs through and around the mask, trying to get enough oxygen, I don't see how I was more protected. This is because, even though I don't smoke anymore, I spent most of my life smoking. It's not because masks are a bad idea or anything like that. Anyone who can should wear a mask. Unfortunately, I can't.
Big head. Joke. But seriously, thank you for the tip Human. I'm going to get the Zinc and B vitamins. What do you think about flu shot?

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
@Human Ex Machinae That is true Vitamin D and Zinc help boosting your immune system, if possible take them regardless in winter season, since we stay more indoors. You gave useful tips, also I would like to specify about masks, to wear them CORRECTLY: cover mouth and nose, because otherwise they are useless. You all take care and be safe, science deniers included.

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
Big head. Joke. But seriously, thank you for the tip Human. I'm going to get the Zinc and B vitamins. What do you think about flu shot?
If you get the shot, which I would recommend in any case, and then you have similar flu symptoms, you would know unfortunately that it's not the flu. Zinc and B, definitely help but consult your physician for the right doses. Take care *hug

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
A big mouth too, I should try using a pillowcase as a mask:D Most of what I've seen and read having to do with fortifying the immune system is about D3, Zinc and C. A flu shot, sure, the less people sneezing and coughing in enclosed spaces this winter, the better. People can have regular flu and covid at the same time.
@Human Ex Machinae have you seen the face shields? They are easier for folks with breathing difficulties if they can be tolerated.

Be well.
Thanks, Angie, yeah if things go from bad to worse here and face coverings become mandated in the workplace, I'll use those at work if they're considered acceptable. In an enclosed space like a train or a bus, though, air would be coming in from underneath so it wouldn't be that effective in preventing infection if covid spores are floating around.
@Human Ex Machinae That is true Vitamin D and Zinc help boosting your immune system, if possible take them regardless in winter season, since we stay more indoors. You gave useful tips, also I would like to specify about masks, to wear them CORRECTLY: cover mouth and nose, because otherwise they are useless. You all take care and be safe, science deniers included.
I started learning about vitamin D and how it helps the immune system a few years ago after I got a bad case of pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. It's been known for a long time that it's important and necessary for the immune system, so it didn't come as a surprise to me that it helps the body deal with covid. When I got sick in February I started taking 2 a day and I'm pretty sure that's why I'm still alive.
As far as correct mask usage goes, I see people all the time with a mask on, but not covering their noses, or lowering the masks completely when they want to talk on the phone. One of the oddest mask behaviors I've noticed is people in their cars, fully masked, with all the windows rolled up... I wonder if they also lock the doors too just to be extra safe:D

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I started taking a vitamin and could've sworn I felt a cold coming on. Think I'm being paranoid @Human Ex Machinae. I told my daughter and she forced me to take this nasty elderberry (shes 17). 🤢so I kinda had to. Do you think its age or just covid that has me/population nervous?

I went to the flea market and you had to see all the mask selections! Glitter, camo. It's a whole new world

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I started taking a vitamin and could've sworn I felt a cold coming on. Think I'm being paranoid @Human Ex Machinae.
Well colds are still going to happen from time to time, all that supplementation does is help reduce the chances of catching one, and the severity if you do get one.
I told my daughter and she forced me to take this nasty elderberry (shes 17). 🤢so I kinda had to.
The only thing I know about 'elderberry' is that it's a word and refers to some sort of old berry*confused
I went to the flea market and you had to see all the mask selections! Glitter, camo. It's a whole new world
In China and some other Asian countries people walking around with masks has been a common thing for years now. I have a feeling it's going to be the same in Western countries in the post-covid era. People have found a new fashion accessory.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Well colds are still going to happen from time to time, all that supplementation does is help reduce the chances of catching one, and the severity if you do get one.

The only thing I know about 'elderberry' is that it's a word and refers to some sort of old berry*confused

In China and some other Asian countries people walking around with masks has been a common thing for years now. I have a feeling it's going to be the same in Western countries in the post-covid era. People have found a new fashion accessory.
My mother said years ago (germaphobe) that the Asians wire masks and were smart. She never got out if New York but has a point!

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Game plan schedule View attachment 40042 , flu shot n these. Thank you @Human Ex Machinae for starting this thread.
Yeah that's fine, you're getting Vitamin D and a lot of other essential good stuff*thumbsup Does it say what the dosage of the D is? Just curious, because doesn't really matter that much. Even if it's the absolute minimum recommended daily, that's more than the vast majority of people are getting every day, especially now in the wintertime. Interesting that it's 'vegetarian', I don't recall ever seeing that.

My goal with this thread was to point out to people that there's a wide range of simple things that we can all do that can help us feel safer and also actually be safer. Little things that, all together, can have a big impact. There are a lot of tools in the anti-covid toolkit.
I'm glad if you're getting something positive out of it, Lane:)

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Yeah that's fine, you're getting Vitamin D and a lot of other essential good stuff*thumbsup Does it say what the dosage of the D is? Just curious, because doesn't really matter that much. Even if it's the absolute minimum recommended daily, that's more than the vast majority of people are getting every day, especially now in the wintertime. Interesting that it's 'vegetarian', I don't recall ever seeing that.

My goal with this thread was to point out to people that there's a wide range of simple things that we can all do that can help us feel safer and also actually be safer. Little things that, all together, can have a big impact. There are a lot of tools in the anti-covid toolkit.
I'm glad if you're getting something positive out of it, Lane:)
Hi humN. Looking now. Taking break from work. These pills smell really funky 🤢. Says D3, 400IU 100%. Pic, balancing on knee. Going to read thread again. I'd be really nervous if I had an elderly person living with me or a child with asthma, something l like that. But getting it can still be a pain in the butt 20201105_123841~2.jpg

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
That's pretty low. To put it in perspective Dr. Fauci takes 6000 iu daily. I'm taking 2000. But you're getting a lot of other good things with the multivitamin so it's not terrible or anything.
20201107_182235.jpg

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
These are all the supplements I've settled on to boost my immune system and increase my body's chances of resisting covid infection. I won't be adding any more, this is plenty. I have a fairly healthy diet most of the week and I'm getting a good mix of nutrients in general, so I can focus on my immune system with the supplementation. I don't take them all at once. I eat 2 meals a day and I split the vitamins between them. These are regular, over the counter, one a day type vitamin supplements.

1. Vitamin D3
2. Zinc
3. Magnesium w/B6
4. Vitamin K2 mk7

D3 and Zinc are the two main immune system boosters here, and K2 and Magnesium support the D3, helping the body process the calcium and transport it to the bones.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
My rule of thumb for social distancing is: If you're close enough to smell their cologne, perfume, exhaled cigarette smoke, or B.O., you're close enough to inhale their spores.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
The vaccines are coming, yes. But the time to be smart has never been more critical, being smart has never been more important than it is right now, in this moment.. Because you're reading about vaccines, don't let your guard down. Please, keep being smart, for just a little bit longer.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00