A SF cooking club

Status
Not open for further replies.

DouglasW

SF Supporter
Hey all. I have an idea to form a cooking club, to encourage healthy eating and motivate each other.

I'm thinking since so many people here may be isolated or live alone, and also because food is so important for mental and physical health, that could get a group of people interested here. I used to love to cook but rarely do now that I'm all alone and so depressed.

What I propose is a group that would try to cook together maybe one day a week, perhaps Sundays. Doesn't have to be all making same things. But could make a meal and then hang out for dinner on SF. Another thought for single people like me is to make big portions and have frozen leftover meals.

Anyone interested? Please reply and tag others to invite them. I'm going to invite a few people, not sure who all wants to cook...

@Sarahbeanie @bobbob @Woowoo @Karmitkurmit the MIA @crumbum @Petal @Trapper

Invite more people!

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
Nice idea Doug. Sadly I'm not a food person and don't cook much, but I'll definitely be watching the thread and will be interested to see if it inspires me to improve my diet, something I really do need to deal with. I'm sure others will get involved and even if you can't always eat together, especially considering the time differences, it'll still be great to share recipes, ideas, and perhaps even some pictures of the results.

Thanks for the tag. I'll have a think and see what I can come up with. My favourite food is the good old pizza, so maybe I'll try and research a healthier option that'll still allow me to enjoy it. I look forward to getting some tips.

Who else likes food... Come share a few ideas @Charlieb10088 @sassy123 @Winter Blues @Bluetoo @texaskitty @Ineluki and anyone else you can think of. I shall return with my healthy pizza recipe during the week. {{Hedgehugs}} :)

PS: Just spotted the MIA bit...LMAO :p

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
@Karmitkurmit have you ever tried making a pizza? It's fun!
I have, including a few when I went to Italy some years ago and cooked them in authentic wood fired ovens outside. It is fun and they certainly taste different. I keep meaning to build one but never get the time. I'll sort my recipe out and see what I can come up with. There is a pizza equivalent food that I had once in a Greek restaurant but I can't remember what is was called. It was essentially pizza but used a sort of pastry base rather than dough. I'll see if I can work out what it was as I enjoyed it and I think I'm right in saying that it was a healthier option (sort of!)

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
For breakfast, an easy one but tastes delicious

Slices of smoked salmon with poached eggs and mushrooms fried in fry light with cracked black pepper and pink salt is always a winner. Serve with red onions and cherry tomatoes and spinach/kale :) A healthy balanced meal and optional: add a slice of wholegrain toast if you wish :) Level is easy of course :)

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
For breakfast, an easy one but tastes delicious

Slices of smoked salmon with poached eggs and mushrooms fried in fry light with cracked black pepper and pink salt is always a winner. Serve with red onions and cherry tomatoes and spinach/kale :) A healthy balanced meal and optional: add a slice of wholegrain toast if you wish :) Level is easy of course :)
That sounds delicious @Petal. Maybe one for us all to try on Sunday?

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
If you want pizza, the easiest, quickest, no-hassle pizza is a stove top pizza. You don't even need to use yeast. I made a yeastless one last night. All you need is a preferably non-stick pan with a cover. The size of the pan determines how much flour you're going to need. The smaller the pan, the less dough, and that means less carbs and calories. I do all my cooking by eye, I don't use exact measurements. So look at your pan and figure out how big of a dough ball will be needed to cover the bottom of the pan (with a little extra along the sides to form the crust), after the dough has been rolled out. You want to roll out the dough thin, don't make it too thick. I put a little butter and olive oil on the pan when it's ready to go. Put the rolled out dough in the pan and shmoosh it in nice until the pan is covered evenly (with a little extra coming up along the sides for the crust). Cover it and set the 'flame' to medium. The first side will barely take five minutes. But test it first by moving it around with a spatula to make sure the bottom side has firmed up. Before flipping it over I brush the top with a little olive oil. If the bottom has firmed up and crisped sufficiently, flipping it over with a spatula should be easy, and it won't break on you. After it's flipped, press it down it down with the spatula (it's hot!). Once that's done put a little tomato sauce on it and spread it around evenly with a spoon. Then whatever healthy toppings you've chosen. Presumably you're going to be using some sort of cheese. I'd recommend putting just a little cheese on top of the tomato sauce, then your toppings, and then a little more cheese on top of the toppings. All the time you're doing this, the other side is cooking. When you're done with that, cover it and leave it there on the hot stove with the flame off. Shouldn't take more than another 5-8 minutes for the cheese to melt and the toppings to heat up and for it all to come together. Sometimes you might want to put the flame back on for a couple of minutes to make sure the bottom has cooked sufficiently. When you feel that it's done, slide the spatula underneath, tilt the pan, and using the spatula, slide it on the plate or serving dish and start slicing it up.

Forgot to mention, when you're making the dough, add a little salt and a little olive oil to it. That's my stove top pizza in a nutshell.

Edit: This isn't very helpful. Look it up on Youtube, I've seen a couple of good ones there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiery ginger stir

Half pound chicken, diced
Cook in salted onion sautee

Rinse

Add carrots, 1 cup, celery, 2 cups
Geind or blend 50g ginger, add and stir
Add fire (any hot sauce)
Add salts, lightly dress with cumin

Enjoy over rice

Status
Not open for further replies.