A silent addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I suffered from a lot of pain due to low cortisol, mostly abdominal pain, I was prescribed Tramadol a few times a week, the rest of the week I was taking codeine in the form of Nurofen Plus, now here's the problem, most, 90% of the pain is gone and I want to get off taking this stuff but every time I try I get severe headaches/stomach issues/anxiety. I went to my doctor and told her this but because nurofen plus is the lowest form of codeine and over the counter she told me to just stop taking it cold turkey even if I have a pain. So here's to my first day off it, I had violent headaches today and i'm only off it a few hours, I am afraid of what is to come, can anyone relate or have suggestions?

2. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

If you deceide to stop, the sickness symptoms will last around 7 days

Is your low cortisol condition something that will be cured? If so I would probably wait until then to stop the codein.

I am not sure living in pain is worst than being addicted to codein. Was your amount of codein needed increasing or was it stable?

Good luck sweeheart :hug:

3. Petal

Hiyas I am waiting on tests to come back, a test to make sure I do not have addisons disease (that comes hand in hand with very low cortisol often) or secondary addisions or secondary adrenal insufficiency. Those tests should be back by the end of the week. But most likely it will be treated, yes, usually with steroids.

I see your point but I hate the feeling of being addicted to a substance even if I do legitimately need it. I want to stop using it every day and just when really needed.

4. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Once you have been addicted to something once it's almost impossible to use it partially afterward.

I never been addicted to cigarettes, I can smoke many days in a row (i smoke when i drink alcohol) then stop without any symptoms or even thinking about it. My friends always try to do like me after they stopped and they always start smoking again. Those that manage to quit it for a long time never smoke any.

With weed it's another story, if i smoke 2 days in a row i am doomed.

I'm not a doctor but i don't think an addiction is something that can really be cured.

You do seems a much more reasonable and wise person than me and the people around me. If anyone can do it it's probably you.

5. Petal

Thanks for the great advice and kind thoughts!! :)

I will stop it (nurofen plus) completely and just use Tramadol when prescribed. Sorry I meant to say that lol! I guess it will not be easy but I believe I can do it too. Might be hard but if I have overcome depression, quit smoking and came off xanax, I'm sure I can do this :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.