A silly fear of mine!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

This is going to sound extremely silly,childish,immature which is why I am posting this in the coffee house. As most who know me well here know that one of my biggest fears is thunder and lightning, so I hate this time of year. When looking at the news just now I saw a weather warning has been issued for floods and intense thunderstorms, in effect from 9pm tonight to 9pm saturday for the whole country (republic of Ireland). Wish I could hide under my bed :hiding: But no there's things that need doing and work to go to. Actually thinking about it, I wouldn't even feel safe under the bed lol. The fear is so bad that it can cause vomiting and panic attacks, I wish this were a joke but sadly it's not. Anti-anxiety drugs don't work against it. I have always had this fear. Any advice would be great, or anyone that can relate...just anything?

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

'course you are not childish & silly Petal. What I reckon it is Petal is you are over sensitive and feel unsafe when thunder & lightning occur just like cats & dogs. The louder the thunder clap the more frightened you feel. Also there is the self preservation aspect that if you go out you may be struck with a bolt so staying indoors is the safer option unless your chimney is struck thus causing a house fire.

Are the things you have to do able to be completed at home? If you have any appointments to meet people put them off until next week when the storms are over

:ladyandthetramp:

:freehug:

And being Irish you are by nature laid back so anything to do today can easilly be put back until tomorrow lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  3. Petal

Thanks Twocky. Yes, I am very oversensitive to loud noises and bangs, including fireworks. The things I have to do are in the city, so will have to be outside. :( Can't put off the work.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

You aren't silly...I have the same problem. I know I get really nervous and anxious and panicky when there are bad storms going on. I just try to find ways to distract myself from thinking about it, anything that will take my mind off it. If there's any hobbies you enjoy, or anything that keeps your mind occupied, maybe that will help. :)

5. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I guess I am a bit odd. I actually like thunder and lightening storms. Of course that means I probably have not experienced a really severe one. I remember a plane trip where we were flying above the storm. Actually saw the lightening from above it. It was awesome.

I look at lightening as something beautiful. Just always have felt that way. It is one of the wonders of nature. Petal, I hope you will be able to overcome your fear of it.

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Petal, many people are nervous during storms, and rightfully so! Storms are loud, bright, and dangerous. If someone has a sharp startle response to noise and light, it stands to reason that bad storms would be tense times for them. And really, being nervous likely means you stay indoors in a safe place - which is what national weather/environmental services recommend us to do. :)

That said, I'm kind of like She Bear and actually enjoy a flashy, noisy storm. But if the weather people said ,"Get to your basements now!" I'd probably grab Star and head to the underground garage.

I hope the storms either don't materialize or they are not too severe and leave quickly. :arms:

7. Petal

Hey guys, THANK THE LORD that most of the severe thunder and lightning occurred while I was asleep, it's sunny now but we still have a weather warning in place, a city to the south where I am was flooded overnight. Hopefully I wish keep ''missing'' these storms lol! Just can't wait to rest on Sunday.Party now tomorrow night to go to (outside) under a gazebo. Hopefully the weather will stay fine but the forecast says otherwise.

Thanks everyone, and I'm so glad I am not alone in this! :hug:

8. Petal

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.