A Small Victory For Me :)

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Frances M, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I just wanted to share that it's been 7 days since I had an alcoholic drink. I know there's a fine line between alcoholism, dependence and habit, but I feel that mine was simply a habit that I started many many years ago. I initially drank out of boredom and to enhance my otherwise (perceived) boring life and then it just became habitual. I was drinking between a half and a whole bottle of white wine throughout the day but that adds up $$$.

I've tried to cut down and give it up before but I was terrified that I'd have severe anxiety and that I wouldn't be able to eat or cope because it became my security blanket.

When I started Prozac a week ago, it was because I felt I needed the help. I felt my natural remedies weren't working anymore. Well, the Prozac only succeeded in giving me a migraine and I've since stopped it, but it had a wonderful effect of turning me off alcohol at the same time.

I was afraid that once my head got better, I'd want my white wine spritzers again, but I don't. I prefer to keep my eye on my goal of home ownership. The money I would spend on wine is now going to debt and savings and I will be out of debt in....123 weeks and 4 days! Lol...sounds crazy but I AM keeping count. I can't wait to post to all of you in two and a half years the photos of my new home and property.

I'm not giving up alcohol, I'll have some now and then on holidays but the daily drinking doesn't have a hold on me anymore. I was terrified for nothing. And I've proven to myself (and my former critics) that I am NOT addicted to alcohol after all.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are amazing!! That is a great succes, well done to you. You've accomplished life without alcohol for a week, was there any day you wanted to just say screw this and drink or are you not determined to not drink at all? Either way, well done to you! You are amazing:) congratulations to you and I hope you can keep it up :)
    Frances M likes this.
  3. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Thank you! :) There WAS a day when I said to myself, screw this. It was the day when my boyfriend said to me that he didn't think the Prozac was working because I haven't "changed". I was so upset that day that I said to myself, why am I trying? Why bother to go through this when he doesn't even appreciate that I'm trying to help myself? Why don't I just do what I want, drink my wine and do my thing and buy my house whenever I eventually get out of debt...but that was short-lived because I'm finally SERIOUS about home ownership. Before it was more of a pipe dream, but now I'm committed. And I know this adds to my commitment to stop the daily drinking. Petal the wonderful thing is that I don't want to drink like I used to. I have a tinge of regret for all the money I've spent on wine throughout the years, I could surely have owned my own home by now, but I'm being supportive of my choices. It's never too late to take a new path right? :)
    Thauoy likes this.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No it certainly is never too late for anything. Life is not a race. Your boyfriend however, sounds like he does not understand at all, and i'm sorry for that. Sorry for his stinking attitude you are doing superb, don't let him get in the way of your sucesses. Again, well done to you :) And remember Rome was not built in a day xxx
    Frances M likes this.
  5. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Thank you :) His attitude does stink, but as I rely more on myself, he's seeing that I need him less, which is helping him to change his reactions too. Doesn't mean he will change enough for me to stay though. If he does, more support for me, but I prefer to just rely on myself and enjoy my own victories!
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Sounds like a pretty big victory to me Frances. Congratulations!
    Thauoy and Frances M like this.
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I am glad that you have been drinking less. I know how hard it can be when it becomes habitual. I am happy that the Prozac is working for you and that you are saving money by not drinking. Glad to hear about your success :)
    Thauoy and Frances M like this.
  8. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Thank you @SillyOldBear and @Witty_Sarcasm :) :)

It is a pretty big step for me to let that go. It's funny though, sometimes the things you're most scared of end up being one of the easiest things you accomplish. The mind can be too intimidating!
    Thauoy and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  9. Fleetw

Fleetw Member

Congrats. Keep it up!
    Frances M and Thauoy like this.
  10. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

Best wishes.
    Frances M likes this.
  11. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Thanks again everyone. I can't say it's getting easier, the other night I cried because I just wanted a glass of red wine before bed...but one will lead to another sadly for me. Oh well, I'll be okay, and today it's been three weeks and a day :)