A social outcast...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by metalmind, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalmind

metalmind New Member

All my life I've felt like I just didn't *belong* among most groups of people. Sometimes the things that would come out of my mouth would get me lots of awkward looks (as if "I am not of this world"). But many times when I talk to others I unintentionally make my words sound so half-assed I feel embarrassed and choose to stay quiet from there on. I hate it when this happens.

I just never had the ability to "impress" others and show them what kind of person I am; it just never seemed to work that way for me. It's probably because I am a metalhead (I listen to lots of '70s and '80s metal) and because of this so many people don't seem to like being around me.

2. japanlover

japanlover Well-Known Member

Metal is where its at. Who cares about impressing others, it's all about money. :Leiaha:
  3. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Hi Metalmind. Glad you're here. I can appreciate your choice of music as it happens to of been my generation. Those were the days :). Most have never quite figured me out either, and I'm glad. I believe fitting in is highly over-rated.
  4. Obnoxiously_Pretentious

Obnoxiously_Pretentious Active Member

Yeah, that sounds a lot like me too. I want to socially interact so bad, but once I'm out, I don't know what to do and just completely shut down. I talk too loud in fear that people don't think I'm worth paying attention too. But then I notice how inappropiate the volume of my voice is and feel too embarassed to speak up again. When people are talking to me, I'm afraid I won't know what to say back so I'll pretend to show little interest. I'll avoid eye contact, compulsively touch my water and take small sips seconds apart, constrict bloodflow to my fingertips with a thread until they turn purple, check the time at 2 minute intervals. I feel as if I need to do something with my eyes and hands but haven't a single clue what! Why do I do that? Most of the time, I really like the people I'm with, but I always wish that I was somewhere else where it was safe. Then I go home and feel lonely. I p1ss myself off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.