a special therapist

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by pit, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Why can't there be a special therapist that will help me disengage from society? All the therapeutic advice I've ever gotten goes along the lines of: So what are you going to do next? Why don't you take advantage of an employment center? Why don't you work on relationships? You can't stay out of work forever. You need to get another degree. You need to get a better job.

I'd like a therapist who recognizes the pain I feel whenever I'm in contact with society. Who appreciates the headaches and nausea that occur when I'm trapped in their prisons (workplaces). Who feels the repulsion that comes from interacting with people at a bar, or again, in the workplace. I want a therapist to say, "It's okay to give up. There are 7 billion people in the world. Struggling doesn't matter."
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Therapy is all about helping us cope. Guess saying it's okay to give up doesn't quite fit their purpose. There are some therapists that really do understand those issues.While they would not say it is okay to give up, they can offer things beyond questions and nearly impossible goals and tasks. i hope you are able to find someone that really can empathise with you, yet take the time to help you cope where you need to. :hug:
  3. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

My advice would be to get another therapist.. Im certain it would be against the policies of their profession to tell you its okay to just give up. There are good therapists out there though that can see your in pain and that have some basic understanding and empathy. If you find one who can understand and who are willing to work with you (seeing that you let them work with you that is) maybe can they come up with some suggestions that are more tailored to you..
  4. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

But struggling clearly matters to you!

Sounds like what you may find useful is empathy, to come along side you and to understand your perspectives. A therapist won't agree with you, the idea is help you find your own meanings / anwers / solutions.
  5. titanic

If at first you don't suceed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no sense being a damn fool about it. - WC Fields

You haven't failed until you give up trying!
  6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Failure doesn't bother me. Neither does giving up. I'd rather fail and be content than keep trying to succeed and be miserable.
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It's okay to give up on society but not your life.
    Find ways to live as far outside of society as possible then.

8. Good idea.
  9. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Doesnt that mean that you have to live alone? Are you sure you can do that?
  10. titanic

We all need love
  11. pit

pit Well-Known Member

12. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

i see a therapist that encourages and helps me remove myself from people i don't like in society/society and everything in general because that's where i'm heading- and helps me find out who i am whatever that means. she is fantastic.

there are therapists who will listen to you and what you want- but i know what you mean about therapists. it was like climbing mount everest trying to find my present one.
  13. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Sounds like you've seen therapists who take a problem solving approach, i.e. who want to try and 'make it all better' for you. And it's ok not to like that approach. But it's worthwhile knowing that there are other types of therapies out there.

I doubt you'd find a therapist who would encourage you to give up, but there will be many who are able to sit with you in your pain, hear you and experience the feelings with you instead of problem solving.

I'm in therapy and my T doesn't suggest things etc. she listens and hears my pain. And in my own time, I've come to learn that I can change the things that I want to change in my own way and time.

Not all types of therapies are right for everyone, so maybe you could search around for different types and see what fits for you?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.