A speech I've developed for 7 years

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by agwoodliffe, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agwoodliffe

agwoodliffe Active Member

7 years after attempting suicide (twice, the 2nd time being more deadly), I made a video on Youtube talking through it all. I've decided to include a piece of it here:

If you've decided to end your life, you are in grave danger. Suicide survivors will know what I mean by that.
    What you need to do: GET YOUR ASS to the doctor's, literally right now, and say you need help because you've been feeling suicidal. They will either prescribe you some mood lifters (+/- therapy), or will refer you to the nearest person that can.
    Like it or not, that's the only way to escape everything.

Now, if you're already diagnosed with depression (or even Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia), and your medicine ISN'T working, there are MANY alternatives that can work. If it's that severe at the moment, you can always research it more on Wikipedia.
    Either way, you still need to get to the doctor's, and discuss with them why it isn't working, and what needs to be done.

I rattle on a lot about medicine. Know why? Because clinical depression is a chemical disorder, like diabetes, or cancer. It's usually a deep rooted thing. So just talking about it ain't gonna do shit in the long run.

For those who still think suicide is an 'easier' way out, I'll put it this way: It's a lot easier to fix a wrecked mind than a wrecked body.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

so well written could not agree more

3. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

:der: No offense meant to you. However, I disagree that resolution of mental problems is as easy as suggested above.

While depression, like any other mental phenomenon, does have a physiological basis, it's not really comparable to cancer or diabetes. Life circumstances and events--say the loss of a job or of a loved one--influence the onset and course of depression. Of course, external events are causal in many physical ailments, as with smoking and lung cancer. Yet cancer or diabetes often appear with no apparent cause in people who practiced good health habits throughout life. Depression without some attending emotional event or situation is relatively rare.

Therapy for cancer is almost entirely a matter of drugs, radiation, or surgery. But overcoming depression means having to work on one's life as well. Talking is part of that. Medication may be part of it, too. But concrete things have to be done as well, such as finding work if unemployed, else the condition simply won't lift. Many people aren't willing to work on circumstantial changes to the degree required, and don't improve as a result.

Fixing a "wrecked mind" turns out no simple matter. The survival odds are much better than with lung cancer; in that sense a mental diagnosis can be considered "lucky." But there exist no good chemical correctives for many mental disorders, including Schizophrenia and Bipolar I. Drugs tend to stop the "positive," or overt, symptoms such as hearing voices. But they don't help as effectively with the "negative" symptoms that involve mood and affect in these disorders.

There is also the social stigma against mental conditions, a thing neither therapy nor efforts at self-advocacy have done much to change. Yet the response of society does affect the outcome. Generally, schizophrenia goes hand in hand with severe poverty--which may mean being cut out of the health care system in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.