A stable recovery?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Gabe90, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe90

Gabe90 Member

I signed on to this website a while back, and didn't feel like visiting regularly after March..

During this time, my depression was almost magically getting better. At the same time, my irrational beliefs about reality were being replaced with more rational ones.

Looking back at my old self, I almost wondered why I was depressed in the first place.

But, it wasn't a spontaneous recovery. I think it's completely fair to say that at this time I was listening to a modern western philosopher (modern as in, still alive and makes youtube videos) and listening to his material really made me feel better.

Although for me, I always attributed my own depression with ancient philosopher's generally depressing ideas, whereas this one was positive (and convincing, which was the important part.)

So, I just wanted to say my account. I feel much better, and have been feeling better consistently. The only times I get depressed are when I think about careers and work, although even then they're becoming more sparse and less strong.
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

So glad you found something. And, yes...the older, well-known western philosphers (such as Sartre, Descartes and Nietzche (sp?)) are not much help and actually part of my problem as that is all that I heard, growing up in the 1960's and 70's and attending college in the U.S. I would be interested to know who it is that you have been listening to or reading.

Stay well!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Gabe :hug:

I'm glad you're feeling better :)

I hope you continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel :D
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

hey glad you're feeling better :hug:
    It's what I wish for everyone on this site :)
  5. Gabe90

Gabe90 Member

Ah, well if your interested, his website is freedomainradio.com . He has also a youtube channel under stefbot.

The best thing I like about him is that he's not vainly optimistic. He doesn't spam "be happy!" but listening to him makes being happy very convincing.

And thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is good to read there is a light at the end of this tunnel i am glad you are feeling better thanks
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that!
    Good luck Gabe :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.