A Story of Treatment Conditions

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lovecraft, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

An unfortunate number of people here talk about person X, doctor Y or place Z that was no good but for the sake of balance I just want to point out my experiences so as to keep those that are unsure of the quality of care in their area aren't so reluctant to seek help.

Due to the lack of any real identifying info I have no real qualm with pointing out the exact hospital I was admitted to. (The coverage area of the hospital would easily be tens of thousands or more.)

TEGH
    I was admitted to the adolescent crisis ward of Toronto East General Hospital which I would highly recommend if one is indeed in crisis. The ward has individual rooms complete with a desk, chair, bed and bathroom. Cameras and the ever present eye of the staff will be on you in any common area but, unless you give them reason to do otherwise, they will leave you alone in your room if you want with only the ocassional check in. Clothing provided is mandatory - you must wear their hospital attire. (Yes, they're open at the back. You get two, one on the front and then one worn as a coat. Along with the pants you're not exposed at all.) Socks and undergarments can be brought from home if you'd rather not trust them to provide you with either.

All the staff there were at least adequate and many were very helpful and willing to help. The food isn't always the best but you do get some selection and the pizza is from Pizza Nova which isn't too bad. You can expect them to allow you to play with the Wii in the lounge, the ping pong table in the kitchen or indeed they may let you bake if they trust you not to stick your head in the oven. (The unit has a kitchen complete with an oven, cooking equipment, fridge and microwave. Of course you need a staff key to open/activate anything but the fridge.)

Some security comes through on patrol every 60 minutes or so but they just walk in and out. The cameras, although present in the lounge, kitchen and hall, can be escaped easily if you're feeling too exposed by sticking to your room, one of the spare rooms or the shower. They allowed me to keep a few books in my room and I was supplied with paper and pen on demand. If you aren't in need of it they won't be a police state that forces you to do everything their way.

The experience was what it should have been for me - I had a place that let me just put the world aside and, although it could be rigid and force me to stay safe, was flexibile enough to let me breathe when I didn't need an eye on me ever single second.

If you need help you should be careful not to get trapped in worry about being 'imprisoned' unless you happen to know that the mental health services in your area are poor. Sometimes the world has a gift to give even to someone that can feel so eternally down on luck.

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi Terry. Thanks for writing this review of Toronto East General Hospital. I know that there are numerous members here from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). I'm from the GTA as well and it's nice to know that the hospitals are pretty good. :smile:

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

This sounds like a suitable place for Violet's daughter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.