A strange, demented, harmless alternate lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MyCatWillMissMe, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

I made a post awhile back here about how I'm basically done with this life. However, it's not that I *want* to die, it's that I simply see no purpose in me continuing on this way. One of the last things I enjoy in life is football, and I'm 100% convinced I will not survive the offseason at this rate. I know I'll be gone if this continues.

One of the other things I enjoy, however, is nature. I live in North Carolina and there's a lot of mountains and forests. I was thinking, rather than just offing myself, how interesting it would be to go "Survivor Man" lifestyle in the middle of nowhere with no one. I'm talking stick and rock houses and boiling river water to drink. I suppose I would have to go into town once in a while to get things I truly can't get on my own (like soap, toothpaste and allergy medicine) but spend 99% of my time with the trees and birds.

I receive a monthly check for my disability, so I'll always be able to buy those very basic necessities as I need them. They just won't know that I'm technically homeless.

Does this sound plausible at all to anyone? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on what to have? It will still be a couple months before I can do this, but it would give me something great to look forward to. If anyone has any nice recommendations on "camping" gear, I'd love to hear it, and you can PM me any links, as long as it's things that aren't insanely expensive. Obvious things would be like, an axe, knife, flint, gun, lanterns, flashlights, etc.

One thing I'm not familiar with is personal locators - I need some kind of device that I can leave 1 part at my camp and take the other part with me, so I can always find my way back (getting lost would not be very fun)

Also it gets pretty damn cold here sometimes, so some clothing suggestions would be good too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  2. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Hi, Yes it is doable, it will take some study and preparation,but yes it is most certainly possible to do, there are survival guides and booklets, especially today there are a lot of prepper groups and organizations, these people have done and still are doing research on the best way to survive they can probably even give you specifics on the particular area that you propose to try living in, including edibles and tips on the areas, this also includes the Appalachian Trail Club, the trail starts in Georgia and goes north to Maine, You can probably find references on line as well, I have hiked different parts of the trail, never have done the whole thing, I was going to one day but life got in the way, I did teach Wilderness Survival back in the day but with technology a lot has changed. for instance fire starters and materials, I will definitely say it can be done, the rest is up to you, the biggest problem today will be getting permission to use someones land if you are going to ask permission, Good Luck Look into it then if you do need some help give me a shout!

3. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for replying. This is going to have to happen very soon before it's too late for me. I'm not really prepared yet though. :(

4. AnotherChristian

AnotherChristian Active Member

I'm not in much of a position to advise you on something like that, but what's comes to my mind is: don't commit too much time/effort/whatever until you're able to test/try your idea out to see if this is something that you would really enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.