A strange tradition in Accient Rome.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Retardedperhaps, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I heard one place that during the roman empire, it was normal the people who where planning to kill them selves to throw a big party for all their friends. Since people hadnt turned christian yet, a lot of things that we disaprove of was seen as completly acceptable (Gayness and suicide to mention two) so the suicidal person would buy wine and grapes, and other party-stuff, and throw a last party. In fact some suicidal people had so much fun on their parties that they didnt kill them selves after all, wich was also completly okay. Some people held suicide-parties over and over again without acctualy killing them selves, but to commit suicide without holding a farewellparty would on the other side be a no-no, so it was better to hold one to much then one to little.

Dont remember where I read it, it was a historymagazine or something - just came to think of it:biggrin:
  2. Gunner12

Gunner12 Well-Known Member

Humm, that sounds interesting.

Sometimes all someone needs is a party to break them out of the vicious circle. Even if they did end up dieing, at least their last moments would have been fun.
  3. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I will not have fun even if i do such a party. But its a good idea, and its bad because no one will agree to come and wish me a safe journey.
  4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

See that? Christianity came and ruined everything.
  5. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

That is interesting! I think we actually learned a little about this in my Latin class last year. The teacher did not really even know how to speak english at all (she was from Russia), so we had the teacher, and a translator. That sure made for am interesting class. But we learned about some interesting parts of the culture including this.

6. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

weird. when i was severely depressed and was suicidal, i din even have the strength to talk to anyone, joke or even wake up. :)
  7. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

It wasn't a suicide for suicidal people though, but rather suicide committed to avoid a public execution.
    During the reign of the Emperor Tiberius (I believe) noblemen were threatened with arrest for treachery which would result in execution and the confiscation of all the family's property. If they committed suicide before the arrest, however, the family would retain the estate.
    So they held a farewell party both to say goodbye to friends and make a political statement against the regime.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.