A suggestion to help THOUGHT CONTROL

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by youRprecious!, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi - the following is offered as a suggestion to help those who are troubled by thoughts that they wish they could get rid of......... because of the feelings that these thoughts make them feel. It's horrible to feel bad and negative all of the time and not know what to do about it.

This is an exercise that was given to me by a counsellor, and if it is done every day, as a journal, it really does help, I know from experience. It's something positive - a rung on the ladder out of the pit - and YOU are in complete control of it -

1. Either on your computer or an exercise book, draw up a table, 5 columns down, 2 across (the 1st about 1/4 the width of the 2nd. The first column stays the same)
    2. The first column will contain the headings, and then each day you write about the headings in the 2nd column.
    3. The column headings are:

1. 1. "The Feeling I want to explore today is:"
    2. 2. The self-talk that is producing this feeling is:
    3. 3. The assumptions/beliefs that my self-talk is based on are:
    4. 4. The truth about my assumptions/beliefs might be..... (and don't worry if you have absolutely no idea - it comes with practice)
    5. 5. The way forward (for today*) that this presents me with is:

OK, sounds too easy, or too "out there"? I'll give an example:

1. Blaahhhh :sad:
    2. No one gives a shit and I don't know what to do
    3. That only people who are seen to have succeeded are able to be happy
    4. (I can take this belief and work with it - writing it down will help me to see how true it is) i.e. This is probably just an assumption that might not be true. If it's not true, I really don't need it.
    5. To ignore any thinking that tells me I am a failure. Everyone makes mistakes, and life is for learning, there is no shame in being human. I can believe that I do still have value

I promise you, doing this daily, will begin to bring some light and order into your situation.

It is worth a try.

Blessings and strength to you all, You Are Precious.
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

LOL! That was my first attempt at making a list - sorry for the double numbers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.