A team of scientist devoted to insulting country folk

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Chernarus, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

they say southerness and access to guns makes you more suicidal and they say that country music makes you more prone to be suicidal. The data they have backing this up is only one fact and that is that in areas with high air time of country music the suicide rates were higher than average they received an award for this and they barley did any investigating just checking some numbers. just some over educated yupies trying to piss on the country folk.
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Music about broken hearts and devices that end your life with ease promote suicide? Don't think you need to do much studying to come to that conclusion.

Few people actually do deserve awards though; them probably not excluded.
  3. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

have you actually listened to non mainstream country music? its REALLY cut throat stuff.

but yeah the other stuff is kinda just like putting 2 and 2 together, dont need to be a rocket scientist.
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I didn't know that country was THAT bad:laugh:

Sorry for my joke. I think that it's more possible that emo music would make you depressed.
  5. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

the numbers really do speak for themselves here, though. i dont think it really has much to do with country folk per se, but more of the dominant culture in their areas.

country music has always based itself on relating to their demographic exclusively. so, country music is more likely to be about a country music fans day to day life, and theres no better way to relate to an audience than to share its problems. plus, id say the country genre has more "sad for the sake of sad" kinds of songs than any other popular form of music. now thats just my opinion, but 2+2 on that front =...........

yeah, southern folks are more likely to own guns. ive lived in georgia, and almost everyone around me owned a gun of some kind. im not even gonna get into the whole gun control thing, but its so much harder to legally own a gun in a northern city like i live now than it is to own one where i lived in georgia. a higher percentage of guns is innevitably going to lead to higher suicide rates (on average, nothing specific) just based on a numbers game. i think people who are suicidal, and had access to a gun, would be more likely to kill themselves just based on the fact that they had a quick way of doing it.

a more depressing brand of music ( and the fact that country folk claim complete ownership of country music, making it easier for them to relate to it) + easier access to firearms = higher suicide rates? not surprising. i dont think the study is saying that country folk are more apt to have suicidal issues, just more apt to follow through. its sad, but we're all just products of our environments, and higher per capita gun ownership is definitely not going to have a good effect on problems pertaining to suicide.

that being said, love me some country folk. some of the friendliest and most misunderstood people on the planet
  6. Chernarus

you people are to quick to put two and two together as are all city slickers when you see a cowboy you see a broke back just cause some stupid movie come out.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What the hell, Chernarus?

You didn't even read the damn thing.

"This article assesses the link between country music and metropolitan suicide rates."
    People in MAJOR CITIES who listen to country music are more likely to kill themselves according to this study.

"The effect is independent of southernness and gun availability."
    Way to read!
  8. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

cmon, we both know thats not true. country folk have as many misconceptions of city life as city folk have about country life. we both know country folk have as much fun ridiculing city folk as city folk do making fun of country folk (i know this first hand, but it was all in good fun).

the study was the effect of country music on suicide rates in different demographics. nothing more. if you take this as an attack on country culture, then i would tell you that country music is in no way a representation of country culture, and that you shouldnt relate it as such. people arent defined by a genre of music, even if that genre is entirely dependent on it doing just that.
  9. Chernarus

im not saying its what has defined country folk country folk have created it as a common music just part of a culture like gangster rap as to gangsters im not saying there the music created the people im saying some egg heads are just finding ways to bash on country folk and there doing it threw a means of one of the largest portions of there culture. and sayinjg your more likely to be suicidal based soley on the fact of being southern is a bit stupid to say.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  10. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i think your minimising this too much. they're not saying, 'oh listen to country and you'll become suicidal FACT'

what they are saying is; in the relationship of music and suicide, the stats show that most deaths by suicides listen to country music than any other.

not taht it will cause you TO BE suicidal.

and just for the record,

I DO NOT see a 'cowboy' and think brokeback mountain.

that is a fucking insult.
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I live in Florida and over half the people here where I live are retirees from up north. They have taken over!! lol. I am a country boy who prefers rock n roll 1st, and country western 2nd. I mean who could not watch Taylor Swift sing Romeo and Juliet. She is a babe!!! Hell even Kid Rock is starting to break into country!! I disagree 100% that listening to country music leads people to commit suicide. As far as firearms are concerned we all have the right to bear arms. It's not our fault that northeners go around shooting each other so guns are banned in there cities. You have the same rights as we do you just have given up the will to fight your local governments. Hell with all the gangsters toting guns I would feel alot safer if I had one myself.(which I do). Thats all, I have said my peice!!!~Joseph~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.