A Tool To Put In Your Toolbox

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Godsdrummer, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Whenever we feel sad or depressed or suicidal, we need to have a toolbox.
    Not a literal one, but rather a toolbox of things "tools" we can use to help us out of that spot. It might be the idea to go and get ice cream. It might be the idea to come to this site, stuff like that.

One of the tools, I have used ALOT, and has helped me, was to never take things for granted and to pay attention to the seemingly small mundane everyday life things.

For example, taking a walk.

When you are out on that walk, look at the natural world around you. Pay closer attention to the leaves on the trees and reflect upon how that tree started as a tiny seed, and how those leaves started as tiny buds.

Birds-I like to reflect on the miracle of their ease at overcoming gravity without the help of an airplane! lol

Airplanes- To think that man, could create a machine weighing many tons that can fly thru the air still amazes me.

Garbagemen-Seriously. Are these people not the most underappreciated overlooked people out there. I like to think about how much we need them and how much they sacrifice to keep civilization running. they get up in the wee hours of the morning. They have to deal with all kinds of weather, traffic, drunks, and God knows what in those cans. And during the fall they get the added bonus of yellow jackets hanging around.

I even marvel at the sidewalk I walk on. I wonder who the person was that built it. Was he a good man? Did he have a family?

There is so much out there in our little world to enjoy, if only we took the time to do so.

Yep...that is a tool, I rely on a lot.

And now you can too!:wink:

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

thats a nice post :)

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

thanks for reminding us to ground ourselves in the moment with nature.

Sometimes I would make myself go for a walk when I am feeling quite down, it can lift it slightly or keep it from shifting above basline.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow,lovely post :)

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yup i always go for icecream never get enough

6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Awwww thanks guys for the nice words. I meant it from the heart. And it does help.

7. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Great thread! I was actually thinking about starting a thread like this but I'm glad that somebody beat me to the punch.

As for me, I have an "I love me" book that I keep in my office. It has pictures of things I've done and certificates I've received. Additionally, when somebody pays me a particularly nice compliment, I write it down and add it to the book.

That way, when I'm feeling overwhelmed or underappreciated, I open the book up and read something nice that somebody had to say about me. Always picks me right back up.

8. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i have things that pick me up too. birthday cards off family and friends help me realize how happy people are that ive made it another year. im sure thats not what they are for but its how i use them

9. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

When garbage collectors had a strike a couple or few years ago, in Italy, I started thinking about how badly they are paid, while it actually should be one of the most well-paid jobs available. It's a job that should be subsidized by the state so that they will get the payment they deserve. But they never will be... they are like farmers; expected to be there and tolerate bad payments, just because their jobs aren't glamorous enough. Who cares that what they do is so important... in one way or another, things have to be glamorous if you are to expect to be paid a lot. Either that or it requires rare knowledge. What most can do can be shoveled over to the ones who are desperate enough to take the jobs.

Otherwise, though... no, I don't have any such thing... aside from masturbation, but if I'm feeling really shitty, it just makes me feel worse when I get back to reality when I'm done. -_-

10. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

:sf: great idea, have a note book and write all the litle things that make us smile or wonder about the wonders of life :)
    put pictures in it, quotes, compliments we get from others,...