a useful approach?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Cariad_Bach, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

So, my new partner found out this weekend that I have self-harmed recently. He reacted well; supportive, sympathetic, wanting to help.

Now, I'm used to being told, when I express a need or desire to hurt myself, that it's 'silly' - in the sense that when I feel sad or depressed that I should be even nicer to myself to help me feel better. I have found this helpful in a way, that it encourages me to think more rationally and validates my feelings in a less overwhelming "its a sadness that can be comforted" kind of way.

So I wasn't surprised that New Partner did the usual "promise to talk to me before you do it" - a promise I have never given because I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it - but he followed it up with something new:

"if you really need to, perhaps we can agree before what you will do and limit it for safety"

Now this is a brand new concept for me. A brand new kind of attitude. Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?
  2. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

last twenty four hours keep stumbling across similar stuff.
    where people are told: ok. do cut. but don't cut much..
    idk if that's good at all.
    seems like a way you'd help someone who's hooked on substances or something..
    gradually make them do it less and less?
  3. InMyMind

InMyMind Member

I like your partner. He seems more open minded and understanding than most people. And stopping completely and never doing it again is hard and not realistic for everyone. So trying stopping gradually and starting by doing it less might be a good idea.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.