Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Doug1027, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Doug1027

Doug1027 Active Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the drug abilify. I've recently procured some from a friend, and started taking it without a prescription in the hope that it may help me. I am poor, and do not have medical insurance, so I cannot afford medication on my own. I was wondering if someone knows anything about the drug, I heard it helps with depression.

Thanks, in advance,

2. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Thats not a very safe idea Doug. How come you can afford the internet and not healthcare? I don't mean to sound judgemental but others are bound to wonder the same thing.
  3. demonhunter999

demonhunter999 Well-Known Member

The drug sounds like it is not for general depression but for mania or schizophrenia - try St John's Wort or Prosac (the former can work and is very cheap)
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

you are very lucky being in the UK, tinwoman.

i'm in ireland and my prescriptions are covered. when i move back to canada i have to pay for my prescriptions myself. i am currently on two mood stabilizers - zyprexa and tegretol - combined they will cost me almost $400 a month.

back to the OP - do as much research as you can online. check out sites like psychcentral.com as well as the drug's official site (http://www.abilify.com/pdf/Medication_Guide.pdf). as i understand it, same as the meds i'm on, you should have your blood sugar monitored (via a blood test) while you are on the drug. sometimes you can feel more suicidal when you start a new med... be extra careful the first few weeks.

what will you do when your current supply runs out?
  5. demonhunter999

demonhunter999 Well-Known Member

Regarding expensive drugs, there are some Indian Internet companies that provide generic equivalents at a fraction of the cost. Basically patent laws are different in India so if the method is different they don't need to follow the patent. Personally I haven't tried them but I have read others who have and they work.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I was on abilify for a couple of months when all a sudden my insuance decided they weren't going to cover it anymore. They prescribed it to help with my irrational thinking.
    You know I have to agree with the others. Taking someone elses meds is not the safest thing to do. They switched me back to geodon and I had to take cojentin to balance out some of the side effects. Stay Strong and get your own meds.:chopper:
  7. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Im on Abilify.. 2mg dose thats going up to 5mg next week..Seems around the time Im use to taking it I get a headache. Its this light headed feeling like my eyes are way back in my skull.. I seems to get a little aggitated if I dont take it regular too.. If I take it regular it seems to help..I get my medication thru a patient assistance program. Therapy, doctors visits, and medication dont cost me a dime - well just gas to get there.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I despise this drug. They put me on it a couple of weeks ago (a change over from seroquel) and it made me a nervous, agitated wreck. I found myself wanting to run for miles and jump off bridges. They had to actually put me back on seroquel as well as the abilify for some sedation, I was that agitated. I found myself suffering from bouts of anger, I started bashing my head again. It ended up getting so bad that I was took to hospital by the police.

I've been taken off it now, and I already feel the agitation getting less and less. :dry:
  9. Shad()w

Shad()w Member

I'm on Abilify. It helps keep me from hearing stuff and getting paranoid. I think it's a pretty good drug. My side effects are tiredness (especially when I first started) and shaking. They aren't too bad for me.

You really shouldn't take something that wasn't prescribed for you. Abilify is also expensive, well over 400 dollars a month for me. I'm lucky I have insurance (for the moment) because I would never be able to afford it otherwise.
  10. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i just started abilify last friday. it's interesting to read some of these comments on here. i'm on 10mg already and i'm guessing this may change when i see my doc tomorrow. they prescribed this drug for me for hypo-mania. i haven't noticed anything new the drug has done for me. please though i would encourage you not to take the drug if you can't be prescribed it for yourself. please take care