About to be homeless

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by cant think, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cant think

cant think Member

I'm about to go homeless, and theres nothing I can do about it... I lost my job right before Christmas, and I've scraped by the past couple months with my savings, but I have no way to get the money I need for rent, and I have no family left that will take me in. <mod edit- cannot ask for donations on SF> I feel completely helpless, and just want to die because there's nothing else I can do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You can look into the shelters in your area they will help you find suitable housing while your there ok also look into community see what they have churches in your community may know of some places you can stay until you get a new job also you should be getting unemployment benefits if you were let go of you job that should help you some

3. Eclipse is right - you should start with with the local churches in yur area.
    The churches have resources and give away bag-lunches at times. Furthermore the churches know of other resources in the neighborhood. They won't try to convince homeless people to join their 'cult' so don't worry about that. They are generally good people that really do good things for others in need.
    I have been homeless a few times, at least, in my life. The church people have helped me before. I'm from The City, so I don't know what's going on in yur town, but the church people are a good place to start.
    Personally I have gotten used to sleeping in doorways and being cold at night. I got pretty good at fighting too, but I've never had anything robbed from me, not have I ever had to get into too bad of a fight over being sleeping in a doorway.
    I recommend that you prepare yurself for homelessness and also keep in touch with yur real friends.
    One of the things that I do when I an homeless is sleep on someone's couch for a night or three, and then I go do the next friend's house and sleep on their couch.
    By the time I get back to the first friend (on the rotation) they're not sick of me living on their couch - they miss me by the time I get back around to them.

Perhaps one friend likes to drink - so make sure you have a pint of vodka for them. -Perhaps the other one who's next on the list likes something else, so have that for them. I've always noticed that a Pizza with meat on it worx well for the sort of people that don't actually have too sketchy situations going on in their house.
    Also, an off-the=-books job at a local spot (retail counter shit - legit, juice bars and local franchizes) worx too - that's some independent income - just don't tell yur friends about it. You want them to miss you by the time you get back to crash for a say or two - you want them to sweat you... Show up with a pizza and a pack of cigarettes and yur good for the couch and a shower.
    Good Luck.

4. mark b

mark b Well-Known Member

All that has been mentioned above.

If you are in UK you will not be homeless if you are on benefits. Your local authority will have to provide housing benefit payments on your behalf and in many cases this can go directly to landlord.

The fact you are in accomodation means that you cannot be evicted without a legal procedure being followed, so wherever you are located get some advice from any homeless charity so you know where you stand.

5. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

good luck to you my friend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.