About to be homeless...

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by MyCatWillMissMe, May 15, 2016.

1. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

So long story short my roommates are bailing on the lease and I have to leave next month because I can't pay for this place or take over the lease since I have no credit.

I receive SSI for disability and can't afford much but this was a good situation since the roommate in charge of the lease has a brother who's best buddies and neighbors with my dad, and I have my own room so it's not too bad.

I'm currently #11 on a waiting list for an apartment for disabled people and it's the only place I could ever hope to afford. It also looks a lot nicer than you would think and I would be really happy to be there. The problem is it could take anywhere from 2-6 months to get to my number.

I have no friends here and my only family is my dad who there's no way I can live with for a little while because my stepmom hates me.

I simply cannot try to rent a room in someone's house because I have schizzoeffective disorder and really don't cope well with random people.

I have 2 cats who I desperately need for emotional support. If I have to live in my car, I don't see how I can have my cats and there's no one to take care of them for me. I don't know what's supposed to happen to me or my cats.

Even if I tried to find a room somewhere, nobody will take a short term month to month male who also has cats, it's just impossible. I have looked on Craigslist and it's all so hopeless.

I'm 30 years old and my life has amounted to having to live in my car and lose my cats and having no real friends or close family. I think I may be ready to give up soon. I would just feel so bad for my cats.
  2. mark1976

mark1976 Member

Hey there,

I'm very sorry to hear you are dealing with so much, thanks for sharing, I do feel for your situation, please keep posting.

I came here a week ago and I was in a VERY similar situation, although my problems have been at least put to one side for a few months, but I was very much in your situation, I got past being depressed so I honestly know how you feel. Please stick around, post back.

thanks man,
    Thauoy likes this.
  3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I'm terribly sorry to hear of this situation.

Have you tried getting in touch with the people behind the waiting list, and told them of your situation? Maybe they can do something if they know?

Do you have a support team you could talk to, that might have some ideas?

Please try to stay strong, there has to be a solution!
  4. MyCatWillMissMe

Thank you guys for the kind thoughts. It is a truly sickening feeling of anxiety and hopelessness to know that you will have to leave and have nowhere to go. I don't know how I could ever find a place that I could rent a room in or something for only a couple months that will also allow my cats. So many ads are also female seeking female only. I even tried contacting one of these and pleading, but at least she was kind enough to reply with a no.

I could handle sleeping in my car and just walking around downtown and hiking in the woods for a while until my number comes up, but I can't see a way to have my cats in a car, and without the air on all day during the day, it would be cruel to do so. Many people (my dad included...) say "they're just cats, drop them off at a shelter and forget about them; they'll forget about you!" Well it must be nice for those people to be able to flip a switch and stop caring about an animal.

With my SSI, it is possible I could afford to rent a room in somebody's house, but like I said I just don't see that happening since I don't live in a gigantic, overpopulated city.
  5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Hang in there MyCat. Being on disability is tough especially when it does not cover the basic needs. I understand the need to have your pets as I have a dog who is more kind to me than my wife is.
    We struggle everyday to keep a roof over out heads and it does not help if depressed yet I keep plugging along. Something will change whether it is for the good or the bad.
    You will be okay.
  6. MyCatWillMissMe

I'm still trying to figure out a plan for what to do. Maybe it's selfish and I burned too many bridges but I just wish there was someone who was there for me. Maybe someone to call me and genuinely ask how I'm doing and really give a shit.
  7. MyCatWillMissMe

I know my mom cares about me but she is disabled and not all there in the head so she can't be blamed for being forgetful. It's just so hard going through life with a disability and even mustering the willpower to go to the grocery store when you know that if you fell off the face of the Earth tomorrow, basically nobody would even notice.
  8. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Mycat can you stay with your mother until you get your own place? Don't give up things will turn around.
  9. MyCatWillMissMe

My mom is a disabled veteran who lives in a VA nursing home and lives on the other side of the country so no. :(
  10. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that.
  11. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Hi @MyCatWillMissMe , I'm sorry for everything that you are going through. I am really glad that you have your cats - those furry friends can literally be life savers. Have you just walked around and seen signs for places for rent and called those up? I really hope that you can find somewhere to stay. Are there any churches nearby? Usually they can help you find somewhere to get in temporarily or might even allow you to stay there short term. Best of luck to you. *hugs*
  12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Just want you to know I am thinking of you and I care, I hope things work out for you and your precious pets :)
  13. afterlifepig

afterlifepig Well-Known Member

i feel for you, i know what it is to love a cat. if i lived near you i could babysit your cats except my parents wouldn't let me. but cat lovers aren't so rare, so it's a long shot, maybe you can find someone? don't give up!
  14. MyCatWillMissMe

Thanks guys. I'm trying to get through this but the most agonizing part of it is the waiting and not knowing what's going to happen. It's very hard to be proactive when you're a really depressed person. I wish I could just be frozen with my cats until the apartment is available for me
    mark1976 likes this.
  15. jlbArt

jlbArt Well-Known Member

I am in a similar situation myself. I am sorry for what your going through. I have less than 10 days to find a new place and i don't have a job anymore. I ruined everything with my roommates and friends.
  16. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

Hey there, I really feel sorry for everything you are going through. I just wish I was there to help you. Please don't give up.
    Best of luck to you. HUGS !
    mark1976 likes this.
  17. mark1976

mark1976 Member

I understand, my position in life remains VERY SIMILAR to yours. Being hit with real life changing challenges - all at once, numbs my brain, how to make a decision? - when it seems there are almost zero to be made. Days are an indescribable challenge (to those that have not been in this position). I'm still here about two weeks since I hit the lowest point, you will still be here with your cats, decide to be on this Earth with all it's *hitty challenges. just keep talking, and being here.
    You/I face tough times, a tough year, maybe a tough 2 years, but if/when I go homeless I'm going to make it, so will you if you stick about. HUGS to the cats and you.
    shania and Thauoy like this.
  18. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Hi there,

don't give up looking. Have you considered motels/hotels? Some of them offer low rent options for short term stays. Depending on areas and where you're willing to go for the time being.
  19. NoNamesPlease

NoNamesPlease Active Member

Have you contacted organizations that could foster your cats while you wait? I am in Texas and there is an organization called feral friends, also Operation Kindness. Some places will take cats in temporarily, in foster care
  20. MyCatWillMissMe

I haven't looked into that but my cats would probably have a panic attack and die.