Abs without situps?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by aoeu, Jun 23, 2009.

1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I was so close to ideal abs... then I had a seizure and wrecked my back. Now I can't do situps or crunches.

Does anyone know how to work the abdominal muscles without flexing or rotating the spine?

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm a runner and I sort of developed abs from taking jogs on a regular basis. However it doesn't work as effectively as working those muscles through greater movement.

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Start out with doing bodyweight planks until you can easily hold yourself into position for 45 secs or so. From there pick up a cheap ab wheel(you can get them for around 10 bucks at a sporting goods store or walmart). Start out kneeling a few feet out from a wall, do sets of 5-10 reps and over time slowly move an inch or two away from the wall at a time until you can do a full repitition. Also make sure to take a deep breath into your belly to keep your lower back protected.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, Mike, it's helping already...

5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

No problem... ive benefited a lot just from doing low rep ab wheelouts a few times a week in my lifting and am glad to help someone out. The stronger I get on this exercise the easier the others seem to get.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh, by the way, Zurk, I didn't ignore your advice. The reason runners have abs isn't so much ab strength, it's because they're so damn skinny! [something I'm not]