Abusive Employer

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems (New Forum)' started by crumbum, Oct 17, 2016.

1. crumbum

crumbum Active Member

I have been employed with the same company for 9 years now. I'm a good employee, clients love me because I'm professional and thorough. The problem is that management, despite my work ethic, is cutting my hours more and more the past few years because my loyalty to the company has resulted in annual pay raises. Their philosophy, like so many other large corporations these days, is to hire under people and pay close to minimum wage for warm bodies who aren't profession or thorough. I've had several clients complain to me about it, and I find myself apologizing for my company on a regular basis. About a month ago I got brave and wrote a four page letter that I copied into an email outlining my frustration with the new employees I'm forced to work with and the lack of hours I'm getting and basically called them out on their bullshit. When I received no reply from my branch manager I forwarded the email to my HR representative. It has been three weeks since then, and I've left several messages for HR and no call or email back. In the meantime my hours have been cut even more without explanation to the point where I can barely make my rent. I do have a union but they also do not return calls. I get the feeling that they are really in it with my company and have some sort of backroom deal. This isn't the first time I've been punished by my employer for sticking up for myself or for others that work for my company. It has happened twice before with horrible results for me. I've thought about litigation but I really can't afford that, and the lawyers I've consulted with in the past have basically told me that in this state corporations can do just about anything and get away with it. It's a very depressing situation because I really like my job and the clients I work for really love me and are pretty bummed that they get to work with me less and less the last few years. I looked into it and I (theoretically) could quit my job and still get unemployment as long as I can prove that my employer has cut my wages by 20%. The problem with this is that I don't really believe it. My company will find a loophole and fight me on this and given the corporate friendly culture of the state I live in I just feel that I would get screwed out of unemployment if I tried to do it that way. I really don't want to leave my job, lose my benefits etc. I'm really not in a stable frame of mind lately anyway, and I haven't been unemployed in a long time and I remember how much more horrible it feels to be unemployed. But at this point I just want out of this horrible company who continually disrespects me, lies to me, and punishes me when I try to stick up for myself. Half the time I want to just quit and walk away. Half of the time I want to find a way to fight fight fight. It's tearing me apart. I don't know what to do and I don't have any friends or family so there's no one to talk to about this. I just feel so alone and so confused and I wish there was just someone to tell me what to do.

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Crumbum, I'm sorry you are being treated like this by a company you've been loyal to for many years. I don't know of anything really that would make a difference, too many businesses are being run this way. All I can think of is asking your good customers to voice their opinions to management about receiving excellent service from you and substandard from the newer employees. Maybe if they hear complaints from the clients they'll "wake up". Welcome to the forum, you now have people here and are no longer alone. Good luck and take care of yourself.
    Brian

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sorry that you are going through this as my company's kind of the same thing getting new bodies and losing the good staff putting the burden on the experienced seasoned staff to make things run smoother or iron out all of the mess up or laziness in the job.

Regarding on your letter to the HR. Sounds like a huge corporation, if you love your job just do the best you can do and make sure you cross your t's and dot the i's before clocking out for the day and use that pent up frustration elsewhere like excerising, walking, videogames etc. I love my job but the administration and I are not exactly best buds at the moment.

4. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

You may want to look into vocational rehabilitation in your state. They might be able to help you work out the problems with your current job, or make the transition to a new one.