Accountability/Goal Setting Group

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Tim., Jun 27, 2010.

?

What do you think?

1. This is a great idea!

31 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. This is the worst idea I've every heard of. Ever.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. I like cake.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. The cake is a lie.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in setting up/participating in a group here that would help each other set goals and hold each other accountable for those goals.

Post below or PM me if you are interested.

I'm thinking a simple format might be something like meet once/week on chat or post in a thread to discuss our goals and make sure we are accomplishing them.

The goals could be anything from 'not hurting myself' to 'going out at least once a week' to 'exercising three times each week' to 'showering everyday'. As long as the goals are positive or constructive.

I'd limit the size of the group to something like 5-10 people (those are arbitrary limits and could change). If more people wanted to participate we could make multiple groups, but we'll cross that road if and when we get there.

The only real requirement for membership is an honest desire to participate.

So post below or PM me if you are interested. Also feel free to ask me questions that I will make up an answer to.

2. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea... Finally a real thread on here that is actually meant for "Support" and help get peoples lives back on track, not just people ranting and wanting pity.

I have already started with my goals for about a month, and I don't come on too often, only to talk to certain people, and I try and help others when I can with advice... but I can try and do this if it's like once a week or something...

Maybe create a thread or something? that way others can read and possibly motivate them?

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Oooh I like this, may I join? :)

4. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

The beauty of this, is once you get the ball rolling and accomplish your first goal, you feel guilty if you think about stopping and you decide to just keep going.

I've been doing this for exercising, i started with a goal of doing it 6 days of the week, and after my first week, I was so proud that i kept going... I've also been eating a lot healthier, and sleeping a lot better... it's like a domino effect...

Just have 1 goal, and make it something realistic and even shortterm, and once you accomplish it you feel great and will want to start chasing that feeling.

5. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

Yeah... I like this, may I join?

6. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Can i join? :unsure:

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

This sounds like a great idea to help people stick with their goals and not fall back into the cycle of depression. :smile:

8. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

Great to see that some other people are interested in this!

If you've already posted here and you want in, then you can definitely be in. Kyle and Dave, could you please post whether you are interested in being in the group or not? I'm assuming you are, but I guess you could also just be leaving your 2-cents, so I'd like to be sure.

If you haven't posted yet but are interested in participating, go ahead and post below or send me a PM.

There's probably still room, and then if we get more we can have multiple groups which might actually make it easier for scheduling. So there's always room.

I'm going to keep hoping more people show interest here over the next few days though so that we don't miss someone just because they were off for a day or two. Then I'll try to sort through things and contact people about what will work.

Kyle mentioned doing it in a thread. My personal preference would be to meet in chat privately, and then share what we wanted using a thread. But those details can be worked out later.

Thanks everyone so far for your interest! I'm looking forward to getting this going.

9. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea!

10. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

yeah I would like In if I am allowed please?

11. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'd like to give this a try too! :)

12. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Please count me in... I do really well when I share my goals for the day or whatever..keeps me on my toes and it is a great way for us to support each other

13. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

Great idea.. would like to join too please.. if there is still room..

14. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Not too fond of the chat part but I am all for threads. As long as there is tough love in them. I do not want to be comforted by someone when I fail.

15. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I think tough love is all well and good but not taking it too far is also important. Being told I'm a loser, an idiot and a failure when I fail is something I am used to at the hands of my parents, I'm sure most people don't wanna come on here and hear it once again. lol

Maybe encouragement rather than tough love, being pushed not to give up. A proverbial 'kick up the butt'.

16. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

Yah I'm in...

17. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Yes nothing abusive, you know I just want someone to not feel sorry for me when I fail on a goal I specifically set. I would say each to their own right? I kind of want someone to make me tell them how I would succeed, not why I failed sort If thing.

18. vicpac

vicpac New Member

great idea! I'd like to be in if possible.

19. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

awesome idea I'm def in

20. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Excellent idea. I'm in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.