ACCUTANE and suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ima.robot, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Thoughts? experiences?

I would have suicidal thoughts sometimes because i was depressed before accutane, but 2 months in and I feel like its making things worse and I may act seriously on them. I am thinking about it everyday. I am considering stopping tomorrow, well i think i must stop. I hope i didnt fuck my brain up for good.

Any thoughts will help right now.
  2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I am stopping ive decided. I think its not helping. Thoughts are getting stronger and more frequent.
  3. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

ravens you should talk to the prescribing doctor about your thoughts and what is going on now with this med.. NOW...
  4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Go talk to your Dr or if need be go to emergency services if they cannot get you in to see prescribing Dr today - find out how to stop and be monitored as you stop. Please do this.
  5. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I have an appointment in 5 days. I should be okay until then if worst happens I will get emergency help but i be ok.

6. dexj36

dexj36 Member

Accutane is known for leading to suicidal thoughts. The problem is that it makes a giant circle. Acne can cause depression and anxiety, but so can accutane. The effects of accutane will cause the acne to increase and worsen at first, but after time it can clear the skin (sometimes). However, if you are feeling suicidal you do need to call the doctor's office and inform them of the feelings and they will most likely tell you to cease the medication. Stopping the medication may not be enough though. You should get therapy and help. The medication has been seen to reduce the amount of serotonin in the brain.

Also, you need to be drinking a LOT of water. This is a very rough medication for the liver to break down, and needs all the help it can get.

You'll be ok. Just remember it's all chemical.
  7. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yeah I think it is playing a large factor, I will not make it if i keep on this med. Only recently has it become this bad daily. So I am stopping, will talk to doctor.

I had problems before it so I will be getting help.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Just wanted to say good luck ravens and suicide is never a solution. Please be entirely honest with your doctor so that they can help you appropriately.
  9. dexj36

dexj36 Member

You'll be fine. You can do this. Music is right, be completely honest and open to the doctor. That's one of the hardest things sometimes.
  10. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Been of meds for a few days and it definitely helps with suicidal thoughts. Still depressed but I am not thinking everyday about running away and then ending it. I still seem to get those once and a while though, but I can deal with that and its not as strong as last few months. Not sure if I would try to stay on accutane 4 more months if I would make it. I wish I could though, I would love to have clear skin again.
  11. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I hate this drug so fucking much. Its changed me. Hopefully not permanently but I think so
  12. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

One of my friends was on Accutane for quite a while and he also had quite a bad time on them but the side effects did stop and he did come back to normal after he had been off the drug for a couple of weeks. On the plus side, the Accutane did its job and sorted his skin out but he did tell me that he would never take that stuff again no matter what his skin was like.

None the less, you should talk to your doctor and get them to reassure you on the drugs effects and the residual effects after stopping use. Its what they get paid for.
  13. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

FUCK talking to the derm, so he can deny that accutane did any of this and cover his ass. Its my fault tho in the end I was stupid. fuck fyuck fuck. I have chronic joint pain now, its known to be long term. I didnt even finish the accutane course because of this, my acne is worse than before and I feel like I have the body of a 80 year old. No one who hasnt played pharmaceutical russian roulette with this drug understands how badly some people can react to it. My joints are affected for the rest of my life because I made the horrible decision to try this. I couldnt even walk my dog yesterday I had to turn around because I was in so much knee pain and limping around, nevermind running anymore. Both of my knees have torn meniscus in them, I take tons of advil and im still in pain. After i started accutane I tore my left meniscus by simply stretching in bed, just fucking lightly stretching!! I have constant pain in my left elbow that happened by just throwing a ball to my dog, it wasnt a hard throw or anything. My other elbow is starting to hurt for no apparent reason. I know it was my fault to try this drug, but its ruined my life. I was a great athlete before, at times being acitve and doing sports were the only thing I felt I had to live for, sports were one of my few true joys in life. I know it was my fault to play russian roulette with this drug but I didnt imagine it weakening my bones for good, tearing meniscus's and getting fucked up elbows would happen. Who knows what will get injured next now that my joints are weak. I thought it would only cause slight joint pain. I used to escape my depression by going for a run or playing tennis or anything really, now im not sure if I can ever again. I dont know if I can live like this much longer. I might just follow through and go lye down on the train tracks 2 miles from my house one day, I feel like a part of my soul is missing, I was 21 and in my prime before this. I look at all my friends who just ran a 5k marathon to support a cause and think that would have been me. I am so jealous of them. fuuckkkkkk
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  14. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Ravens, there is a HUGE lawsuit and WARNING about using Accutane. Please research this.
  15. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yeah Ive heard some about this but I dont want to get invovled in any of it ill just get more depressed. All I want is to try and fix my body as much I can. I quit that fucking disgusting habit of smoking and Im making a commitment to eat healthy which I have started including lots of water, fruits, veggies, and low gluten. I was thinking about killing myself last night and a thought occurred to me, as I see it I have 2 options. One is kill myself and just end things and the other is to quit smoking which I would do when I thought about my knees and all then start eating as healthy as I can so maybe it will get a little better in time. I know I have weakened my bones for life taking this drug but I will try to accept it and live healthy to prevent any more damage and try to get into new hobbies. But I have surgery in a few months for both of my knees if it doesnt help the pain im afraid things will get really bad but im going to give it my best shot to rehad. I would just love to be at least able to lye down without 24/7 pain once again, im only 21 for fuck sakes, Ive had probably 8 tylonals a day and it must be killing my liver and it barely helps the pain.
  16. Prinnctopher's Belt

You don't understand. This drug will NOT enable you to live healthy as it is proven to cause health problems.

In addition to the most severe side effects, Accutane has been linked to other changes in the body, including:

Cessation of bone growth in children
    Excessive bone growth
    Decreased night vision
    Dry eyes
    Dry skin

In June 2009, Roche removed Accutane from the U.S. market, citing sluggish sales due to growing competition from generics. The manufacturer’s patents expired in 2002, and many companies began selling the cheaper, generic versions of the medicine. Generic equivalents include Amnesteen, Claravis and Sotret.

Roche continues to sell isotretinoin under the name Roaccutane in other countries.
  17. Prinnctopher's Belt

Make them pay for your surgery if the problem was caused by this drug. Why sit back and let a dangerous medication destroy your body, and then pretend that it doesn't effect your health causing LONG TERM problems that YOU will be left to live with - not just the medical bills, but suffering, too?There are many other options for treating acne than this drug and they should have let you know this. You need to do some research or something and wake up.
  18. Prinnctopher's Belt

Roche Found Liable in First Of 400 Suits Over Accutane

By David Voreacos
    Bloomberg News
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Roche Holding lost the first of 400 lawsuits claiming its Accutane acne drug causes inflammatory bowel disease when a jury awarded an Alabama man $2.62 million.

Accutane was a cause of the disease in Andrew McCarrell, 36, the jury in Atlantic City found yesterday. The computer manager testified that he had severe diarrhea, surgeries and depression after taking Accutane in 1995 and becoming ill a year later. Roche failed to warn of the drug's risks, jurors said.

The verdict may complicate Roche's efforts to defend suits alleging that the drug causes inflammatory bowel disease. Roche lawyers said the disease's cause is unknown and drug-label warnings were adequate. McCarrell's attorney argued that the label was misleading and that Roche hid the risks to reap profit.

"We'd like to send a message to Roche to clearly do further testing and evaluations," juror Cynthia Spivey, 50, said after the verdict.

About 13 million people have taken Accutane since it was introduced in 1982. Roche lost patent protection on the drug in 2002 and continues to sell it, but with generic competition. Accutane has also been associated with birth defects and depression.

McCarrell, of St. Clair, Ala., said he was "ecstatic" with the verdict. "It means that I can go and get a lot better medical treatment," he said. "I won't have to worry about my financial future."

Accutane is made by Roche unit Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. of Nutley, N.J. Diane Lifton, an attorney for Roche, which is headquartered in Switzerland, said the company would appeal.

The panel of six women and four men awarded $2.5 million in damages to McCarrell and $119,000 for past medical expenses.

McCarrell's attorney, Michael Hook, said in closing arguments that his client had "gone to the bathroom 25,000 more times than the average person. I can't imagine that. He's doing the best he can with what he's got to live with, and what he's had to live with is hell for the last 10 years."

McCarrell testified that he had not slept through the night since becoming ill. "On a bad day, I really can't get out of bed," he told jurors on May 3, the trial's first day. "When I wake up, my body just doesn't work. I stay in bed or lay on the couch all day."

Andrew See, an attorney for Roche, had argued that scientists do not know what causes inflammatory bowel disease, which includes Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. The drug passes from the body within four to seven days, See said, noting that McCarrell's disease began a year after he first took the drug.
  19. Prinnctopher's Belt

A study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology concluded:
  20. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi Ravens,
    Please visit your dr, and mention the joint pain/and your skin problems/depression and any other symptoms you have? The dr needs to rule out joint conditions/auto-immune conditions. I am so sorry this happened to you. Please keep seeking out help, don't give up.
    Take care
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.