acting normal

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by aki, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

anyone else act relatively normal even when you feel really bad inside - like suicidally depressed/on edge/anxious?

2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i think we all do, we all have out masks that we put on to hide the pain and suffering.

for me its so i dont get asked the same question over and over

3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

woo quick reply thanks andy :hug: it's like I do it without trying most of the time though. I'm not trying to act happy or calm, I just do.

4. Yeah I do act normal without trying generally, and i find it impossible to talk to anyone, or let anyone in. :(

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I constantly act normal even though inside I'm falling apart.

I think it's a defense mechanism for me.

6. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

and the crazy thing is that you need to let your emotions out or you will get so used to not showing them that you may end up totally cold inside.

catch 22 almost lol

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It is much easier to pretend everything is ok than to answer questions and say what is really wrong. You get so used to doing this that it becomes natural. Masking is a sfety mechanism.

8. hellwithhugewounds

hellwithhugewounds Well-Known Member

Of course I mask also. I can't imagine what my parents reaction would be when they find that their always smiling and "happy" son has killed himself.

9. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

I guess we are all liars to ourselves.

10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That's the worst part. The being fake. But I don't know any other way of being.

11. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

I act normally to those i dont trust with my heart an feelings and to those i know will not judge me for feeling the way i do i let into my life and express how i feel either way!!!

12. Milly

Milly Well-Known Member

Its become second nature to act "normally" and together when inside im screwed up and suicidal, dont know any other way to be!

13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't have to because I isolate and don't have to worry about what others think. When I am around family I don't hide anything. This is who I am and if they don't like it to bad!!~Joseph~

14. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It feels like I spend my entire life that way. I think it is a combination of the depression and just knowing how others feel about suicide. And for the sake of my kids as well. They know I'm bipolar and the rest of my mental health issues. But I try my best not to let them see.

15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

nope, im incapable of acting normal even under normal circumstances

16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

yes immensly, i have to laugh to keep myself from braking down and crying.
    sometimes i feel my mask is the only thing from keeping me from falling apart completely.

i also am unbelievablt scared of letting go and people seeing the 'true' me as i am always 'composed' as such

so yes, i do it also hun :hug: i think it can be classed as "normal"

17. jam1e

jam1e Guest

God i wish!:laugh:

I have a very outgoing and piss taking personality!

When i'm down i struggle to hide it as i become withdrawn!:laugh:

18. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

All the time. I'm a total fake around my friends, the ones at school anyway, cos if i act how i feel they moan that i'm no fun or i should 'look at the bright side of life'
    And, ofc, at home, i act like a complete fake. Smiley, bubbly and happy, when i couldn't be more opposite.
    I guess it just seems natural to me now, but it really sucks that i have to be a fake. That i cannot show how i truly feel.

19. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

all the time
    i'm never myself when i'm around other people

20. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I feel so numb. I wish I could cry or feel anything at all.

Thanks for all your replies btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.