Activated Charcoal

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Has anyone here been given activated charcoal? How bad is it & how does it work?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Never had it myself. I think my brother said it was like eating sand, but I don't remember that well. It works by adsorbing chemicals to its surface which are then unable to interact with the body or cross the barrier into the bloodstream.

3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

It's AWFUL. It helps absorb poisons after you take too many pills. It's either given to you through a tube shoved in your nose or if you're lucky you just have to drink it..it still tastes awful. It makes you vomit too...

4. PandorasToybox

On the Net it says its given w/ a laxative too :blink:

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

To get it out of you after it's done its job, I presume. You don't want a pile of poisonous charcoal in your gut.

6. ZombiePringle

I never have been given a laxative with it..

7. PandorasToybox

It said it depends on the drug od'd on...sounds unplesant though

8. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

I've personally had to drink it..and its the worst thing i've tasted. It makes you vomit..and when you do, you can just taste it.
    When you drink it, the liquid is all gritty and drys your mouth up, leaving you gasping for a drink.
    Makes a mess also lol.

9. ZombiePringle

Yes very unpleasant. So don't do anything to make it to where you need it! :tongue:

10. PandorasToybox

Can you refuse it??

11. ZombiePringle

Nope. If you try that's where the tube in the nose comes into play....

12. PandorasToybox

oh wow they are persistent...

13. RightOverThisMess

RightOverThisMess Active Member

Well, I had charcoal 10 years ago and I was of course in bad shape, so it's kind of a blur. But I had to KEEP drinking it because I couldn't keep any of it down. That royally sucked.

I also had the tube shoved up my nose and down my throat. The docs told me it was dripping potassium. I kept throwing up and the tube got a kink in it so no potassium was getting into my system. So then they had to take it out and put it back in again. The tube ordeal was by far the worst part of my overdose.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  14. PandorasToybox

How are they about people coming in with ODs?? Do they get mad about it??

15. ZombiePringle

Why do feel you have to do this? Maybe we can help convince you not to even attempt in the first place...

16. RightOverThisMess

RightOverThisMess Active Member

The doc I initially saw was somewhat rude, I guess. He kept saying that I made him want to rush home just to ask his daughter if she's okay. I think that stemmed from the fact that I refused when they asked me if I wanted them to call my parents. But they called my parents anyway because they were pretty sure I wasn't going to make it.

17. PandorasToybox

Things arent good...nope they arent... I dont want to do anything & I havent done anything & Im hoping to get to my counsellor tomorrow

18. TheOncomingStorm

The Nurse, Mental health Nurse and Doctor i all saw in A+E were actually really considerate towards me..I remember the Nurse telling me that I was in a safe place now, and the right place to be ect ect.
    On the ward the Nurses were the same..One of them in particular saved my life. She sat for several hours talking things over with me, which was something i really needed at the time.
    The Doctor's i saw after that were ok also, some kinder than others.

I dont know how this would differ on an adult ward - because im under 16 i was on a paediatric ward.

19. PandorasToybox

Oh see I would be in the adult ward where I would probably be made to feel worse..there's like no way to feel good...you live you feel like crap, you try to die you feel like crap...like come on!!!!! SOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING

20. TheOncomingStorm

Frustrating at first yes. However I never really wanted to die, i wanted the pain to end. The fact that going into Hospital meant getting the help I needed right then, eased the pain temporarily...Okay so give me a week after i'm out, and i'm feeling like crap again but thats beside the point...Besides CAMHS have to deal with that now :p..Not that they know how i truthfully feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.