Addicted to Internet/Procrastination

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Socialman, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

I get so anxious about my work that I just procrastinate and come on these forums and the chat room the whole day. I've tried alcohol and mj a couple times, but they are too disgusting for me to stick them anywhere near my mouth. Sometimes my friends sit down and drink some bears, and I drink one, but hate it the entire time. I don't have an addictive nature when it comes to substances. Why can't I pull myself away from the net?

2. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

Wait. I think I posted something similar here a couple months ago, and I just realized its still on the front page. :( Now I feel stupid.

3. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

I think it is a form of anxiety management (but a destructive one, like drinking rather than a helpful one). I do the same or I will play spider solitaire over and over and over and over again for hours and hours and just not stop. What I think is happening is that my ego is hurt or damaged or stressed and I need some time to protect and repair it subconsciously and that is what is happening when I am surfing endlessly or playing solitaire - it puts a part of my brain on automatic so that the rest can get on with healing the damage my ego or self has sustained.

I actually think I heal much faster and much more healthily if I push myself to face what is stressing me or even if I simply do physical exercise like swimming or a yoga class but sometimes - like right now - I just don't summon the energy or self-will to do it... even though I know it is the better option. I have been surfing this site and others since last night, I am also freezing which doesn't help with my motivation. I will get out of bed when my flatmate comes back - sometime tomorrow so I can put on a normal face and in the meantime kinda indulge my 'healing process' by not moving, sleeping, surfing the web, sleeping, playing solitaire and generally trying to heal the guilt and damage in my soul....

They are all just coping mechanisms - even if they are long-term unhelpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.