Addicted to internet.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Socialman, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

I'm addicted to the internet. It's not really a substance abuse, but I was wondering how I can be so susceptible to the internet, yet hate alcohol or smoking which I've only tried a few times in my life before going back to sugar drinks and procrastination.
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

sounds like me too darksider..
    internet, sugar and procrastination ...all my addictions...
    way better than the alternatives!
  3. Obnoxiously_Pretentious

Obnoxiously_Pretentious Active Member

Yeah, the internet is my drug of choice too. I'm too phobic to socialize in person so I use several forum communities to interact and lessen my loneiness. It's probably not healthy but it keeps me sane.
  4. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Yes, you are right, it's not healthy, if that's the Only socializing that you do. That's why internet is only temporary for me. Once I reach my life-sustaining goal, I will quit the internet.
  5. Obnoxiously_Pretentious

Obnoxiously_Pretentious Active Member

Okay, so saying that the internet is my only socialization is a bit of an overstatement. :rolleyes: I was on the high school track team with my current roommate and we talk and joke around with each other quite often. And I adore the people I work out with for MMA/BJJ/gym. I just find it disturbing that about 90% of my real life socialization involves intense excersize. My theory is that the physical arousal of working out preceeds over the physical response of anxiety, therefore allowing me to attribute my stress to exhaustion opposed to fear. A few times I went out to eat with them post practice and within 15 minutes, I went from bubbly, chipper, and energetic (almost manic) to withdrawn, fearful, and sullen. I couldn't look these people in the eyes anymore, I was incapable of processing anything they said to me and was inappropriate with my responses, I was antsy and constantly needed to do something with my hands to appear busy and stay cut off from everyone. These are the same people I was joking around with, laughing with, sparring with mere minutes ago! What happened?

((Sorry if I got off track from 'addiction' to 'social phobia.' It was appropriate as to why I need the internet to feel safe with people.))
  6. steveoh

steveoh Active Member

well thats it, its not that your addicted to the internet, but as a person you want to socialize and have fun, but because of your insecurities, you feel safe from the insecurities on the internet, making the internet your alternative, really the only way to stop any addiction is to find new friends, it may be hard but give it time, if you stay home allot do stuff do gain confidence, get a work bench in your room, study life, idk lol thats my opinion
  7. same. like to just sit down blast my headphones and chat it up. like almost the only social out let i have. if not this sitting in my basement watching old tv shows all day.... which i hate.
  8. Yarrick2k5

Yarrick2k5 Member

Been addicted to the internet since AOL 1.0, but now I can get free shit, read news from all over the world and watch lectures and documentaries and waste away doing the procrastination thing living the dream...
  9. Cute_Angel_Xx

Cute_Angel_Xx Account Closed

Try finding something you enjoy to keep yourself away from the internet, something that will keep you busy :hug: x
  10. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Or use it to your advantage and find something productive out of it.
  11. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Addiction to the internet could be a good opportunity to learn many useful skills. At least your not running about offering to blow people for ten dollars - or robbing your next door neighbours television and jewellery.

I mean, its not an area were we need counselling.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.