Addicted to MMORPG... But is it bad?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lestat, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

Hi. I've not played a online game for just over 2 years. In those 2 years I thought about one game constantly and even read all the books and any thing else I could. Now i'm getting close to a point where i'll have the chance to get back on this game. I know i'll get addicted as I feel I am anyway. But here is my question.

Is it bad? I have no job and am unable to work as no employer will take someone like me with my disorder on. I suffer with social anxiety and have a very very bad sleeping disorder. This game keeps me busy and gives me great joy. I do keep fit and talk to some people on the phone.

So is this online addiction bad? Should I not do it and try to stay away?
  2. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

If an addiction interferes with your life, job, social life, etc... then it's a problem.
    If you have nothing else to do then play the game then to me it's better to be addicted to a game and at least have joy from that then sitting depressed in your house doing nothing al day.
    If it makes you happy and it doesn't cause problems in any way then go ahead and have fun playing the game.

I used to play too and I think I was a bit addicted, more to have a way to run away from the real world then to the game itself, but I don't like playing games anymore especially not online, i always was meeting the most irritating selfish people and it got ma so mad time after time again that i lost all joy from i and just quit, now I only play games offline now and then and try to sport and watch movies or tv shows.

Just my thoughts on the subject hope it helps a bit.
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I play Conquer Online and sometimes I go through stages of playing it a lot. It's a successful distraction when I need it.
  4. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

I played World Of Warcraft. it can and will take over peoples lives. It is a crazy game that has everything but food, drink and sex that you need in life...
  5. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

if you do something like Warcraft, Rift, or Warhammer (Doodad - level 40 dwarf rune priest), try not to limit yourself to simple questing

join a guild and participate in the raids or realm-vs-realm or whatever group activities are available and get a headset so you can use the chat channels

think that might help a bit with your social anxiety

good luck
  6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

i find the problem with WoW is that you can't really play 'casually'. Like you have to be playing a few hours a day to be half-decent or what ever. Then you can do all the farming if you want to make money....which is like several hours a day..

I haven't played it for a good amount fo quite a while. I might play it a bit when I'm on holidays this afternoon, but it kinda depresses me. Some of the mechanics in the game have changed, and now require more attention than previously - making the game sometimes unenjoyable.

but what wastingecho said about the voice chat(ventrilo and stuff) is pretty good. I used to use vent(a voice chat program) when I played WoW with my guild. And the sad thing is, it's probly my largest piece of social interaction in the entire day.
  7. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Speaking from my own personal experiences, if you're the kind of person that needs structure in your life because you find it difficult to manage on the go AND you have difficulties being relaxed around people then I need to warn you: be weary. These game worlds, for people like me, are too tempting. They're an escape from all of my shortcomings. If I have structure in my life, like a job, then I can handle it fine and it's welcome. But without structure, I'm helplessly drawn into the eye of the storm. Not being good with people hampers my ability to get back up when I fall down. Failures in my past plague my mind. On my own I am a miserable coward beset with lack of control and indecision. And time slips away. You hear that sucking sound? It's the sound of your life going down the drain. In 10 years it'll seem to you like it all happened in a flash. Don't let 10 years go by and then find yourself thinking you wasted too much of it in a game and should have spent it elsewhere doing things that wouldn't make you feel bad about yourself.

Please find a better way to spend your time. It's just like money. There's not endless supplies of it. Try not to play more than 5 hours a day. If you're working, it's easy to go for 5 hours if 8 hour job, but try spending your weekends doing something else. Bottom line, knowing how to swing a sword and lead a group into a dungeon and come out winners won't help you in RL. Time is far better spent if you can find something you enjoy that improves your situation in RL. But we need entertainment sometimes and fantasy is the answer. But when you find yourself turning to it because you're procrastinating what you know deep down inside you should be doing, then you need to ask yourself whether you want to regret your choices 10 years from now or not.

I've found that by thinking about RL like it's a game that it makes RL more interesting. If you examine RL it has all the signs of being just like a game. The only big difference is in the amount of pain. In real life there's lots of pain. We also experience permanent death. Additionally, we have no choice where we're born. But if you put aside those things then the rest is virtually indistinguishable from a virtual game world. If you can find a way to overcome your fears in real life and to find friends who will encourage you and find the right kind of environment in which to grow then you just might be able to enjoy real life as much as any game you've played!

And buddy, me and you have things in common. I'm in my room right now in my parents home and I'm 33. I"m looking at my past and i'm looking ahead, and I'm confused and look like a deer in headlights. But I'm saying this with your interests in mind. I want young people to turn to RL for joy and enlightenment. I realize that for some people this life is hard and games are more accessible for them, that's how it has seemed for me, but game worlds are a poor replacement for RL. They leave you empty inside after years of playing them. We should reframe this issue. The problem isn't RL, the problem could be that we don't have the right friends, the right environment, the right frame of mind that allows us to beat our fears, and the initiative to grab the bull by its horns.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Id call it a distraction and disconnection from reality to be honest. Though it depends, what specifically do you enjoy about it? What parts give you satisfaction and what parts motivate you.

I mean it's not so bad, but it's still a complete escape from reality. If you get pleasure and a sense of personal fulfillment and motivation, play it, and learn to ride off of that positive energy and go do something else.

I used to play video games, granted not exactly to this degree, but i played them alot overall. But i never really played them for the video game storylines or anything tbh, I just used them as a place i could rest my head and play blindly while I tried to think on some level to the sort of positive feelings I was getting from them.

Tbh... it's not really worth it. But to each his own, we're all different. I just would never suggest anyone play a game where they are going to get sucked into it and spend more time on it then actually living their own lives. In the end, you are worth more then the confines and limitations of a games environment and stimulation
  9. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I've had social anxiety since I was a kid. It started with all of the teasing. I'm not sure whether I was reserved and that caused the teasing or the reservation was caused by the teasing, but nonetheless I grew up with social anxiety and still have it. I've played plenty of MMORPGs. None of them have fixed my RL situation. It's very difficult to justify time spent in these games. To be honest, they're something to be ashamed of. To me they represent my failure to overcome my faults.

I'm not here because I'm angry at you. I'm here because I don't want you to look back 10 years from now and wish you had made different choices! I'm trying to educate. Your life might be different and what went wrong for me might not for you, but at least I put it here and maybe a few words will help you. That's my hope. I hope something helps!

I'm not saying so much that the games are the problem. If a person is going to a game because of something like social anxiety than the game is the least of their worries. Plenty of working people play 4-6 hours PER DAY in these games and still somehow manage in life. Most of them aren't married, though. Bottom line, I want you to find meaningful answers that enrich your life and make you feel better about YOU! Not your character! Please heed what I say. It might not make any sense and I sound like a blowhard, but real life, I really feel, is potentially a much better game than those! I realize that sometimes we got sh** in our life and there's no easy answers. I know nothing comes fast. I know. I don't blame you if you game a lot. I've been there. We're all in this together.

We need a rallying cry.

I just thought of one.

"Log out and log in! That's where the fun is at!"
  10. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

hi guys. thanks for your replies. i have played wow for many years till my 2 year break from the game. i have used voice chat programs and joined big active guilds. i have no problem with online social situations.

thank you johnnysays. you gave me someone to think about. i don't wish to waste 10+ years on a game and regret it. i have children with some ex's of mine and don't wish to not be a part of their lives when i am back in contact... i don't need a game to postpone that. thank you again.

i am not sure i will not play the game. i just hope i can take myself away from it when needed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  11. MarySmith

MarySmith Member

I would say, play games. But be careful.

For years I was addicted to gaming. Mainly it was RPGs like Final Fantasy VIII, Septerra Core, Fable II, etc. By addicted I mean I used to play every waking moment, wasn't really interested in eating, going out, studies, anything. Then with help from my parents I got over it and brought it down to a couple of hours per day, at least to a point where it no longer took over my life.

The reason I say play games is because gaming made me so happy. It was like a break from everything serious and I can't even describe how much I loved those few hours every day. If it makes you happy, do it. But force yourself to do other things. Force yourself to go out, meet people and live life.

In conclusion, by God, play the games that make you happy. But limit yourself, and tell others to help you out with it if need be.
  12. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

I'm also a final fantasy fan :) I love playing them. I don't think I could limit myself. At the moment I have no girlfriend and in some respects don't want one. With no one to nag me I have nothing to get me off it. I have no will power to tell myself to get off. I think only hunger, thirst and sleep will get me off it. I don't have a computer yet... It could be awhile so I have time to talk myself out of it... But i'm sure the first thing i'll buy is a pc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.