addicted to *stuff* 18+

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by addicted to stuff, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I know a woman whose husband did the same thing...he chose the "stuff" over her and his children. It IS an addiction, and all I can say is that you should do your very best to stop. You will slip, and you will do it again, but do not let that take you into a spiral of shame and regret. Just vow to yourself not to do it again and go from there. If you can go 1 day without it...that is great! If you slip, then get back on the wagon and try again...don't let that feeling of guilt drag you down into it again.

This will mess you up in more ways than one. Emotionally, sexually, family-wise, everything. The sooner you stop the better. Don't be ashamed...this happens to many, many people. Just try to cut yourself off, and if you screw up, try not to do it again.

I've had the same thing with smoking...the more I occupy my time with something else, the less I think about it. Please nip this in the bud and discipline yourself before this becomes really out of control.
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Try not to feel too least you realize that this is a problem...most people don't.

Going to school should help you to get your mind off it...and you WILL make many friends at school and this will make you less inclined to do this.

You are young, so it's normal to be attracted to people easily, to be interested in this sort of thing, etc...

BUT when it starts interfering with your life, it can be a problem.

Maybe if you tried putting a filter on your computer that would not allow you access to this? Even if you have a password, it might make you think twice before you act on impulse (which this seems to be, an impulse). Or make a random password that you cannot possibly remember? Just mash some buttons :)

But please do not think of hurting yourself...this is not abnormal and you will get over it, especially with the awareness that you seem to have of the situation. You know that this is not the right thing to do, and I believe that you will overcome it. If you mess up, just try you said, you've gone several days without it...that's GOOD! You can get past this :)
  3. hi peanut0017,
    thanks a lot for replying.
    it has already messed up my mind, relations with others. i have avoidant personality(

i can't help it. i don't visit those stuff for "fun" i don't enjoy it at all, its an addiction. i go there to forget my problems, when i am down.
    Its like i have to go there 3-4 times a day, even if i have loads of other work to do,i get irritated if i dont.
    going out with friends is not an option, i dont have any. for the last one year(after school) i've been doing this everyday. i rarely go out of home.

max i've done without it is 2-3 days, that too coz i was in my grandpa's house...

I almost lost my job coz of it...i can't conc on work. i am supposed to work 4-5 hrs a day(making websites) but i just cant. whenever i am online i get that urge to....

i hate myself, this is so embarrassing. i can never make friends.

i get attracted to people easily. i want to have lots of friends but i just cant. everyone hates me...i had left home for a day once. that was the only time i really enjoyed life. i dint care about was fun!
    i can't do it again, i am going to uni(if i get visa). i can't leave home now. my dad is paying a lot for me. i would feel more guilty now. i never wanted his money. but i cant say no to him. it would look weird. i cant even think about killing myself coz of this, not that i have the guts to but still suicide is not an option until i pay him back.

i'm so scared.i want to hate everyone, but i just cant everyone is so nice....

thanks for listening...
  4. I completely agree with Peanut. You CAN overcome this, I think. And yes you might have an occassional slip-up, but that's nothing bad.

I just wanted to send you a lot of hugs :hug: :hug:
  5. ybt

ybt Guest

therapy might be an idea, but of course you can obviously try posting in the forums like you've done. but therapy might still be an idea.
  6. thanks everyone for replying to my thread, sorry i dint get email notification for some reason.
    the content blocked would work well, i'll try that.
    ybt, no its not that serious. past few days my work load has increased + i've been on sf chat a lot, well the whole day. so yea that keeps me away from stuff.

thanks someone who cares, *hugs you*. do you know who i am? lol just curious.

I have other problems comming up, completely unrelated to this one :(. well i should create another thread about it.

Thanks once again.
  7. Yes I know who you are. :smile:
    And you know who I am.
    I'm on your MSN, you are possibly going to the country I have a serious weak spot for. So yeh, that should help you think of whom I am ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.