Addiction 101 - For those just starting to use drugs or considering doing so

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

1. If you've already used hard drugs to get high more than once (ie. pain pills, crack, smack, coke...or whatever your drug of choice may be) then you are most likely already an addict. And until you start believing you're an addict, you'll only screw yourself more and more.

2. If you haven't yet used, but are thinking about doing so to subside your depression or some other problem...don't. May not seem that simple, but trust me it's a lot simpler than the road you're going to be headed on if you do use.

3. No, it doesn't matter if you only use occasionally, on weekdays, weekends, or every 3rd rainy Tuesday of the month. You're still an addict.

4. What you use and how much you use has nothing to do with whether you can control your addiction or not. You can't.

5. I don't care if you've been clean for a whole year, that means absolutely nothing in regard to whether or not you're going to pick up again. So even if you knew you couldn't control it before, but now you think you can just because you've stayed away from it for a year...think again. It's a long, difficult road and it's never over.

6. No matter how long you've been clean, don't lose your humility and think that you're high and mighty and you beat it. You'll never fully beat it. It's a lifelong disease. There will always be temptation out there. There's always the possibility of relapse, even if you've been clean for 30 years. But the good news is, you can always choose to fight it and keep it at bay. And regardless of whether you're winning the fight or not, keep fighting.

7. For opiate addicts in particular, Suboxone, Subutex, and Methadone are not surefire cures to your drug use. In fact, they won't work for you if you don't truly want to stop using. You'll either end up relapsing, or selling them and then relapsing.

8. If you feel like you want to stop, but can't, then you don't really want to stop. Not badly enough, at least. When you want to stop badly enough, it will work. But getting to that point is very scary and sometimes takes you losing everything and everyone.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but if I think of anything else, I'll add it. Or if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been a heroin addict for the past 5 years, so I'm not making it up when I say these things. I'm saying them because I've either been through it myself or seen it with my own two eyes. I see a lot of people in this section of the forum asking some of these questions, so I thought I'd make this thread for them to read first. Hopefully, something ends up clicking.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this difficult topic. Your honesty and self awareness here and in other posts on this topic is really amazing to me.
  3. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

I think opiate addiction really has its own addiction 101 rules comparing to other drugs if you know what I mean
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.