Addiction ... to a game

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by AnotherChristian, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnotherChristian

AnotherChristian Active Member

This isn't exactly about substance abuse, but has anyone had an addiction to a video game? I had such an addiction last month (not too too bad) but I seem to be over/managing it now.

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

If you have an addiction to video games, the only resolution you can do is to go cold turkey by giving your console to someone you can trust as it will help you to overcome this addiction. Yes, it's extreme and will seriously hurt you mentally as you try to break the behaviour pattern. Try to some sport or outdoor activities to keep you busy. I hope this helps you. Take care and keep busy.

3. AnotherChristian

Yes, I'm glad I went cold turkey. Fortunately I did it while I was still not highly addicted -- this was about 10 days ago. At this point I don't feel much craving for it, but I dare not play even once.

4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I recently realized I have developed an addiction to two games on my phone.

My time to chat with my LDR boyfriend is limited... and any time he had to go afk I would grab the phone and start playing... sometimes I'd barely notice that he returned. Or I'd try to still talk to him while I was playing.

I haven't deleted the games, but I'm going to see how long I can go without them... if I struggle I will try to delete them completely.

I have an addictive nature and had to go cold turkey on my own with other stuff...

I hate it when somethings starts to control your life like that.

I'm happy to hear you're getting over yours!

5. AnotherChristian

:)

How long, at this point, have you gone without playing them?

6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Only less than a day so far... but I hope I can do this.

He deserves better than being replaced by a silly game of match 3!

7. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Active Member

I'm completely addicted to games.
    Escaping reality by delving into fictional characters lives, honestly, i can DEFINITELY see the charm.

8. AnotherChristian

I know this is an obvious thing to say, but how bad is it for you?

9. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Active Member

Well it's good to lift your mood or relieve stress whilst your playing but afterwards when you realise you've been playing all day and didn't get anything done, and that this happens everyday, i at least get pretty miserable and begin to hate myself.

10. Frigate150

Frigate150 New Member

I love playing video games, don't think I have ever been what you call addicted to them though. if it's on pc perhaps you can uninstall it for a while that makes it harder to access for yourself and you ween off the addiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.