Addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Brian777, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hello everyone,
    I've had some problems these past months with my pain medication. I was prescribed this for legitimate pain from injuries to my back and neck. After my Mom passed away last year, I started using it for emotional pain and not just physical, it quickly got out of control. Last week I went into a detox and got help to get off of the physical dependence, at least to a sustainable level, but the acute phase is passed(I hope) The hardest part is still to come, the mental/emotional battle. I hope I have the strength to maintain sobriety. Prayers appreciated :(
    Brian

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Hi Brian, I am sorry to hear about your struggles with addiction. I truly wish the best for you, and I am sending lots of good thoughts to you in this hard time.

Brian777 likes this.
  3. Brian777

Thank you Witty :) much appreciated

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi @Brian777 As some people know I got dependant on codeine after being on it for legitimate pain, it took months for me to realise I had a legitimate problem and on feb 13th this year I decided, no more and went cold turkey, i was in agony for days but after a week i was perfect. Anyone can find themselves addicted to painkillers so don't feel less of a person please just know this battle is going to take a lot of hard work and patience, may I ask what one you are dependant on? It's not shameful and people won't think less of you hun.

lightning05 and Brian777 like this.
  5. Brian777

Congratulations :) yes it was pretty well cold turkey for me too, I felt every pain I was ever relieved of from the pain killers.
    I'd hate go through that again. It is easy and takes a hold fast, before you know it its out of control

6. Petal

Thanks :) I totally understand you and sorry for my spelling error, its ''dependence'' lol! Yeah, no one knows how tough it is more than I do, I was taking a lot of pain pills every day and now 3 months later when I get a pain, taking the odd painkiller works as before it didn't because I was so used to them. My body was addicted to them, my mind wasn't, that is how I got off them. Go cold turkey and never look back. :)

Brian777 likes this.
  7. Brian777

Im so glad you got though it :) I'm still in a lot of pain from the injuries but I'll need to find another method of treatment. As you said the tolerance increases so it takes more to work.

8. Petal

Have you or are you doing physiotherapy? That could be a great alternative for you. Sorry to hear you are still in a lot of pain, that's not fun :(

Brian777 likes this.
  9. Brian777

I've got a few ideas to check out, chiropractor that's supposed to be good. But it's arthritis too, so I'm not sure.

Petal likes this.
  10. Petal

Best of luck to you hun ((hugs))

Brian777 likes this.
  11. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Best of luck with it all Brian, and good on you for catching this and doing something about it!

I know it's not easy to get out of an addiction like this, especially not if you have chronic pains. Well done! I wish you the best of luck with it all. Stay strong!

Before I got on pain relief for my chronic back pains (wanted to avoid it, as I didn't know it was chronic then, and I had been addicted to pain relief as a teen) I was using meditation and mindfulness a lot. And I also did physio-pilates.

I hope you are over the worst, One of my worst symptoms when I went cold turkey back then was the headaches.
    Be strong!

Brian777 likes this.
  12. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

I have so much respect for you and it grows day by day! You are a wonderful man. Addiction is so easy to fall in to. Hugs and hugs and hugs.

mark1976 and Brian777 like this.
  13. Brian777

Thanks my friends that was a rough 4 days and nights of pain. I didn't mention it in the other post about being offline, in case I lost my nerve. I was prescribed pain meds for my injuries been on for at least6 or 7 years, but I hated being afraid of running out I have enough fears without this. Hopefully I can get through the rest and then there's still the original pain I was treating.

14. Brian777

It is my friend, especially as a nurse, I think we get held to a higher expectation, but together through the last years of my job (the pills) they worked and since the injuries were caused by violent patients in ER, we didn't get much consideration or understanding most of the RNs, Techs, paramedics, Docs had PTSD there, gunshots 4 plus a night in summer violent gang area. I'm sososo happy you're still here my dear friend, you make me proud of your strength.....you will rise above all of those who have oppressed and abused you and thrown your pure love back in your face.......remember that it will come to pass and your children will realize truth, because it cannot be hidden.
    Hugs
    Brian

calvinandhobbs likes this.
  15. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

@Brian777 , I am so proud of you for deciding to quit those evil pills! I had an addiction to those and it was definitely taking a hold of my life. I think you may have even responded to some of my posts about it and the temptation I have had to go back to using so that I can emotionally numb myself. The problem with those drugs is that you don't even realize you are addicted before it's too late. And they can be very hard to shake off. Going cold turkey is a good option because there's no saying, "well maybe just one more." I know the first week was probably hell. I went through such a bad withdraw from pills that I could barely sleep the first few nights and I felt very itchy and bothered.

What helped me a lot was my outpatient rehab program. There were other people there who were very supportive and understood what I was going through. Also, when there you feel less tempted to use because you almost feel this obligation to your fellow members and using feels like breaking a promise. I hope you continue to win this battle!

16. Brian777

Thank you lightning, yes they really can get hold of you and take you down. I was using for legitimate pain, but it worked for numbing too which escalated the problem. Right now I lost so much weight and strength in detox I'm home bound and a couple friends from a 12 step program are helping me. I know the challenge will come when I feel stronger, so I must stay close to these friends. Thank for suggesting an outpatient program, I'm going to see what's available here, I need all the help I can get. Thank you for responding and your suggestions.
    Brian

17. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

Hey. I don't think I told you... God we have so much in common... I have always liked my beer and smokes. It calms me, it takes the edge of my pain. I have emotional demons, and chronic back and neck pain from years of nursing. I actually herniated a disc and ended up paralyzed for a bit. Surgery/ pt/ OT and months of rehab and in for 7 weeks after surgery. There are more ready to go but... Anyway...the pain has been over 15 years, the drinking got bad after I left my abuser and horrible after my mom died 2 years ago. 2 ppd and a case a day. I just want to hug you because I feel what you have gone through, and how you got there and how hard it is to get out of it. You got this , Brian . Xoxo

mark1976 and Brian777 like this.
  18. Brian777

We do what we do to get through my friend, like you I had to work through the pain. But like mental illness, addiction is still suffering under the stigma by people who don't understand. Last week was a humbling, but very enlightening experience for me. The pain was hell, but I watched how myself and others were treated, without revealing my medical background, I asked questions and processed the answers I was given. There's a lot of changes that need to be made in the system. Bless you my friend
    Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.