Addictive Personality

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Anybody believe this to be a true personality trait? I've read plenty of articles where people have said it's just a way for people to justify their bad habits.

I've gone from one addiction to the other over the years to try and make myself feel better.

Food - Drugs - Alcohol - Sex - now it's Chocolate.
    As with everything, too much of anything is never good, and as soon as it starts to become damaging I get off it and replace it with something else. It's been like a vicious cycle in my life for years and years and I've no idea how to stop it.
    Anybody else experienced/experiencing the same?

2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

oh yeah... ff8, alchohol, weed, alcohol, sex, mariokart...

3. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

Well i feel it is real. I mean sure it depends on the person. some people just say it and some mean it. I dont think there is a way to tell.

i for one dont though.. well .. i dont think i do.. or maybe i do and i just got alot of will power to stop myself.. oh well..

4. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Hell yeah there is such a thing.

There was even a study that stated that they may have found what influences somebody to have an 'addictive personality'. It was something to do with 'D2 receptors'.

5. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

I don’t know about personality but those who constantly feel something is not quite right, like something missing, are definitely more prone to addiction. I don’t know if it’s my personality but I do have a tendency to get addicted to things that make me feel better, be it sex, drugs or self harm. Is feeling shitty a personality trait??

6. physician

physician Well-Known Member

i can say that the main problem with me is that im an addictive person
    at the moment im an internet addict, very badly....

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say i have an addictive personality. i just have a lot of insight into how i work, and i'm letting everyone around me know that i'm really concerned about me using alcohol and sedatives in the wrong way IF i get to a state of depression that doesn't move. right now it's fluctuating so it's good. i also have loads of ways of coping too. but i know the potential is so so high considering my feelings towards alcohol back in march and my past with severe eating disorders. it really really scared me and scares me.

8. Drekono

Drekono Well-Known Member

I know i have serious addiction issues. VERY few things give me any happiness at all so when i find something that does i latch on to it. I turn it into an obsession and burn it out and then move on to the next thing when it no longer gives me any pleasure. The worst part is i cant function without an obsession, an addiction. inbetween them i get seriously more depressed and cant handle being alive. but while im in an addiction i cant function either cause thats all i can do or think about. cant sleep, cant eat, cant remember to do ANYTHING but my addiction. Video games, collectables, gambling, dangerous adrenaline rush activities, drinking, drugs, people, ideas, etc. I just bounce around from addiction to addiction and it controls my life, its ruining my life.

9. captnrage

captnrage Member

I do believe its a real thing and I believe its part of why some of us can't get a grip on our addiction whether its drugs, booze, sex, video game or whatever. Part of it I also think is because we as humans want to feel joy regardless of what the out come is. I was addicted to every and anything i could get my hands on and when I cleaned up the one thing that I havent been able to kick is cigs, cant for the life of me, even thought thats what its goin to cost me in the end considering my health probs. thats how i see it.

10. catnip43

catnip43 Active Member

Yup..Food, Drugs, Exercise,Sex, now eating disorders.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  11. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

I am very addictive. I think unhealthily so. I obsess over people very easily in particular. I sometimes feel like I am raving mad. I don't go all out but I've displayed some stalkerish traits in the past that I am not proud of.

When I lock on someone, my focus becomes very intense and consuming and I imagine that they feel the same way as I do about them. I know this isn't healthy but it's hard to control. It's a wonder I can even recognize this lunacy in myself.

Lately, I've cut off contact with people that trigger this behavior in me. I have to for my own sanity because I can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy when I get like this.

I am also an obsessive eater. That's been a problem for a long long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.